top of page

1917 PAGE 3



"I consider myself very lucky to get out alive, as it was absolutely Hell to be there." Pte. GEORGE DODD 2/9th.

Published in the Reporter 1st September.


Mrs. Wm. GREENWOOD, of 9, Highfield Street, Dukinfield, has received information that her husband, Pte. 351829 WILLIAM GREENWOOD, died from dysentery on August 13th at a hospital in France after a short illness. He was admitted to the hospital about July 28th suffering from dysentery.

Pte. GREENWOOD belonged to "A" Coy 3/9th Battalion, Manchester Regiment, and had been in the Army about two years. Prior to joining the forces he was employed as a slasher's labourer at Messrs. Ashworth, Hadwon & Co. Droylsden. Two brothers are in the Army, and another has received his discharge on account of having contracted rheumatic fever. (William Greenwood is buried at Etaples Military Cemetery). 

Published in the Reporter 15th September 1917.


Hurst Man Who Was a Good Soldier In Every Way.

Private 352672 HARRY LUNN, of Curzon Road, Hurst, is reported to have been killed by a shell in France. Lieut. GILBERT GREENWOOD, of the 1/9th Battalion writes - "By the time you receive this letter you will no doubt have had official word of the death of your husband in action yesterday, September 2nd. It is impossible for me to express in this letter the feeling of regret and sympathy which I have experienced. He was in my platoon, and by his death I feel that I have lost one of my best men. He was a good soldier in every way. In your great loss may you find all possible consolation in the fact that he gave his life whilst fighting for his King and country". In civil life Private LUNN, who was 29 years of age, was a clerk for Messrs. Marshall, contractors, Cockbrook. He was also secretary of Hillgate U.M. Church, where his services were highly appreciated. Private LUNN joined the army in August 1916, and after being sent to Egypt was on the torpedoed "Arcadian," being subsequently drafted to France. He has two brothers who are both on active service. (Harry Lunn is recorded on the Tyne Cot Memorial to the missing).

Published in the Reporter 29th September 1917.


  Whilst endeavouring to remove a wounded comrade to a place of safety, Pte. 350290 TOM GASKELL, of the Ashton Territorials, was mortally wounded. Major T.E. HOWORTH, writing to Pte. GASKELL'S mother, who lives at 5, Ellison Street, Ashton, on September 14th said ,"I am very sorry indeed to write sad news to you with regard to TOM. We were coming out of the front line trenches last night, or rather early this morning, when the enemy began shelling. Someone was hit, and TOM, along with another stretcher bearer, went to his assistance. Another shell exploded and caught TOM. JIM DAWSON, of Park Road, Dukinfield, was near at the time, and he and others got TOM into a motor ambulance very quickly. He was taken straight away to the field dressing station just as he was, and in an unconscious state. JIM DAWSON was with him to the end, and he tells me that he never spoke again". Major Howorth, in conclusion wrote - " You must feel there is something to be proud of, for TOM gave his life in trying to help someone else. His body is laid to rest in a British military cemetery here". Bandsman B. ASHWORTH has also written confirming the sad news expressing the deep sympathy of the members of Pte. GASKELL'S squad with Mrs. Gaskell. Pte. TOM GASKELL was one of the 1/9th. He went out to Egypt, and went through the whole of the Dardanelles campaign. He was home on ten days leave in May. He worked prior to mobilisation as a piecer, and was connected with the St. Peter's Welbeck St. schools. He was also a boy scout, being in the 1st Ashton Troop. A brother of Private GASKELL, JACK GASKELL, is also in the Ashton Territorials, in the signalling section. (Tom Gaskell is buried in the Menin Road South Military Cemetery, Belgium). Click Here to view Tom Gaskell's grave. 

Published in the Reporter 29th September 1917.




Pte. TOM PICKFORD, 1/9th Manchester Regiment, who was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for bravery at Gallipoli in August 1915, is reported wounded and missing since July 31st. His wife, who resides on Old Street, Ashton, has received official information from the military authorities to this effect. 

Published in the Reporter 29th September 1917.


Lieutenant GILBERT GREENWOOD, eldest son of Councillor H.T. GREENWOOD, of Harwood, Mossley Rd. Ashton, has been wounded whilst serving in France with the Ashton Territorials. The fibula of his left leg fractured during a night attack. Lieutenant GREENWOOD is now at the Bathurst House Hospital, Belgrave-Square, London, and is making good progress.

Lieutenant GREENWOOD joined the Reserve Battalion of the Ashton Territorials on its formation soon after the outbreak of the war, and was given a commission. He was educated at Elmfield College, York, and until the war was in business with his father, being the manager of the Stockport branch. He was a good athlete, gaining distinction at school in all sports, and captained the cricket and football teams. Lieut. GREENWOOD has seen active service on three fronts, the Dardanelles, Egypt and France. He was invalided home from Gallipoli with enteric fever.

Published in the Reporter 29th September 1917.

ASHTON TERRITORIAL - "Always Did His Duty Faithfully and Well."

  Mrs. M. Rogan, 22, Charles Street, Ashton, has received official news that her husband Private 352013 MICHAEL ROGAN, of the 1/9th Battalion Manchester Regiment, was killed in action in Belgium on 5th September. Captain F.W. KERSHAW, "B" Company, 1/9th Manchester Regiment writes: - "Dear Mrs. Rogan, I much regret to have to inform you that your husband has been killed in action. Your husband was not actually with "B" Company when it happened. He was attached to the Royal Engineers. I believe he was killed instantaneously by a German shell. He had been with my Company a long time, and was well known to us. He always did his duty well, and was a good soldier. He is much missed by his comrades in the Company, and by myself and the other N.C.O's of "B" Company. I beg to extend to you our deepest sympathy in your bereavement. It will perhaps be of some little consolation to know that he was very brave doing his duty at the time." Private ROGAN joined the army on the 2nd of October 1915 and had seen service in Egypt, and for the last four months had been in France. He was connected with the St. Ann's Church and Sunday School. He was 40 years of age. (M. Rogan is buried in Aeroplane Cemetery, Belgium). Click HERE to view Michael Rogan's grave.   

Published in the Reporter 29th September 1917.


Had Previously Been Wounded in Gallipoli.

 Mr. and Mrs, Peter Nolan, of 78, Burlington Street, Ashton, have been informed that one of their soldier sons, Private 350084 PETER NOLAN, of "B" Company, 1/9th Battalion, Manchester Regiment, has been killed in action in Belgium on September 14th.

Captain HALL, of the 1/9th Battalion Manchester Regiment (Territorial Force) has sent the following message: - "It is with deep regret that I write to inform you of the death of your son in action. He was hit by a shell and died instantaneously, suffering no pain. We are all very sorry to have lost him, as he was such a good soldier and comrade. Please accept my deepest sympathy in your sad bereavement." Private NOLAN was wounded in the leg and groin in June 1915 whilst serving with the 1/9th Battalion Manchester Regiment in Gallipoli. Private NOLAN was 24 years of age. Another brother, Sergeant JAMES NOLAN, is also serving with the 1/9th Battalion, and was with the Battalion throughout the Gallipoli campaign. He is at present in hospital undergoing treatment to a wound to the left arm. (Peter Nolan is buried in the Ypres Reservoir Cemetery, Belgium) Click HERE to view Peter Nolan's grave.

Published in the Reporter 6th October 1917.


Sgt-Major W. Birchall Dies from Wounds.

It was with much regret that the people in Bardsley learned this week that 350051 Sergeant-Major WILLIAM BIRCHALL, Manchester Regiment, T.F. C Coy 1/9th battalion, had passed away as the result of wounds received whilst serving with the forces in France. News that he had been wounded in the right leg came through to his wife and his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Josiah Birchall, of Bardsley, last week, and on Wednesday morning of this week a letter came from the Rev. G.M.Wheeler, Church of England chaplain, stating that he never recovered from his collapse, and passed peacefully away to his rest and reward. By all who knew him in Bardsley, Sergeant-Major BIRCHALL was respected and beloved for his kindliness and ever present desire to do a good turn to anyone in need of it. He joined the Volunteers 17 years ago. He visited New Zealand after his sister's death, which took place at her uncle's in Dunedin, and whilst he was away he joined the Dunedin City Guards. He was away rather over 12 months, and on his return he entered the Territorials. He was colour-sergeant when they were called up for service in August 1914, and went to Egypt and the Dardanelles. During that campaign he was slightly wounded in the chest. Later he came to France. He was there wounded in the neck by a piece of shell, and on recovery rejoined his regiment, and removed with them to Belgium, where he was wounded on the 16th September, sustaining a compound fracture of the right leg. He died on the 25th September, and was buried in the military cemetery near the clearing station by the Church of England chaplain, Re. G.M. Wheeler. He was 36 years old. The family are associated with Bardsley Church and School, and are much asteemed in the village. He leaves a wife, Mrs Edith Brichall, of 27, Ann St, Roslyn, Dunedin, New Zealand, and two children, a boy and a girl. (William Birchall is buried in the Mendinghem Military Cemetery).

Published in the Reporter 6th October 1917.


Although official news had not been received up to the time of going to press, there seems very reason to believe that Private 350991 FRED BREDBURY, of the 2/9th Battalion, Manchester Regiment, has been killed by an enemy shell, on leaving the trenches for a rest on the 18th inst. Private BREDBURY, whose wife resides at 2, Diamond St, Hurst, joined the Battalion in October, 1914, and he went to France in March last, where they have seen much heavy fighting. Private BREDBURY was 23 years of age, and prior to joining the army was employed as a spinner at the Old Mill Coy., Tame Valley, Dukinfield. He was a regular attender at the Ashton P.S.A., and is on their Roll of Honour. (Fred Bredbury is buried in the Ramscappelle Road Military Cemetery). 

bottom of page