top of page

1915 PAGE 14




Published in the Reporter 18th September 1915.


Both sons of Mr. and Mrs. S. Morris, of 40, Holden Street, Ashton, who went out with the 1st Battalion of the Ashton Territorials to Egypt, have been wounded at the Dardanelles, and one of them has returned home on Friday. Corporal HERBERT MORRIS, who has returned, was wounded on July 12th. He was shot through the left forearm. He has had some narrow escapes, and has taken part in several fierce encounters with the Turks. He was a close chum of the late Sergeant H.EARLE, who was killed in action on June 17th. Corporal MORRIS was wounded whilst bomb throwing. Prior to the war he worked as a piecer at the Harper Twist Co. Mossley Road. He is only 18 years of age.

 Lance-Corporal HAROLD MORRIS is officially reported to have been wounded on August 7th, but his parents have not received any word up to the present as to the nature or the extent of his injuries. He worked with his brother at the Harper Twist Co.

The brothers MORRIS could hardly have resisted the call of their country, for their father, Mr. Samuel Morris, served 18 years in the Royal Bengal Fusiliers (the old 101st Regiment), now the Loyal Munsters. He was present at the annexation of Cyprus in 1878 by England.

Published in the Reporter 18th September 1915.


Private JOHN MORGAN, of the 1/9th Manchester Regiment, who was wounded while fighting in the Gallipoli Peninsula on July 16th, and has been invalided, returned to his home at 48, Wood Street, Ashton, on Tuesday evening. Private MORGAN, who was formerly employed at the New Moss Colliery, has been a member of the Ashton Territorials for nearly seven years. He proceeded with the battalion to Egypt, and was on the Suez Canal just after the Turks made their attempts to get across. Going to the Dardanelles in May, they had a particularly rough and trying time of it, though they cheerfully performed their arduous work. "I was in "A" Company", he told a Reporter representative, "and I can assure you the battalion here have done their share of the hot work along with the men of the regular army. How was I wounded? We had just come out of the trenches, and were going into a gully when a shell burst not far away, and a piece of shrapnel struck me. It entered the left arm, and splintered the bone. I was sent to hospital in Cairo, and as the doctors said it would take some weeks to get better I was sent to England. On Thursday night I landed at the hospital in London. On the journey we were warned of the presence of German submarines, but we did not come across any." Speaking of the fighting on the Gallipoli Peninsula, Private MORGAN said - "The Turks are always firing either bullets or shells, and both the French and us have caught it badly. The Asiatic Annies from the forts did a good deal of damage. Once we were in a dug-out, about seven or eight of us, having a smoke, when a shell struck the third man from me, and blew him to pieces. We were practically under shell fire all the time. The Turks are good and brave fighters, and the snipers are very smart in their shooting. The worst of it is they use explosive bullets, which make terrible wounds. Some of the Turkish prisoners seem to be thoroughly tired and worn out. I think they would give it up but they are driven on by the German officers. The French gunners are very clever, and their '75' quick firers rouse the Turks up a bit. The Turks attack strongly very often, but when we turn on them with the bayonet they always go then. The Ashton Territorials have done their whack if they do no more. They have made a name for themselves, and they have been praised several times by the Generals." Private MORGAN said the French and English officers and soldiers were confident that they would get through the Dardanelles. "There is not so much room to move about and manoeuvre," he said. "Our fellows take the Turkish trenches every now and then by a desperate rush, and there is some hot work, I can tell you - for the Turks counter-attack, and they use their machine guns on you. We are making headway, and we have had splendid help from the Navy."

Published in the Reporter 18th September 1915.


Sergeant CORNELLIUS FINCH, of the 1/9th Battalion, Manchester Regiment (Ashton Territorials), has been promoted to the rank of Company Sergeant-Major. He was a member of the battalion before the war, and went out with the Regiment from Bury to Egypt, and from thence to the Dardanelles. He was also secretary to the Dukinfield Association Football Club. He has five committeemen in his Company, Privates JAMES McDONALD, FRANK(FRED?) SCRAMBLER. TED JONES. W. KINDER and J. PYE.

The Reporter Headlines Published September 25th 1915.



Published in the Reporter 25th September 1915.


Pioneer Sergeant ARTHUR BASHFORTH, of the 1/9th Manchester Regiment, who was fighting at Gallipoli, has returned to his home at 2, Princess Street, Hurst. The injury to his foot is improving very nicely, but he still walks with a slight limp. He served with the Ashton Volunteers for over five years, and has been in the Territorials since the force formed. He was attached to the headquarters of the battalion, and acted as assistant to Quartermaster-Sergeant BOOCOCK.

"I used to attend to the sanitary arrangements," said Sergeant BASHFORTH to the Reporter representative, "and to see to the burial of the dead. Every man I have buried has had a proper and decent and respectable funeral, and we did all that was possible for them, and to the best of our ability. No, it was not a pleasant duty burying comrades whom you have known a long time, and with whom you have worked for a long time. But there is some satisfaction to their friends to know that the men were buried as decently as the circumstances allowed. The Ashton Territorials have been through some hot and trying work during the past twelve months. They were quite as good as any regular troops, and they did good work in Egypt, at Kantara, and in the Gallipoli Peninsula they were a credit to the old town of Ashton, and to themselves. They never shirked anything, and they were always cheerful. It was often surprising how cheerful they could be under very trying circumstances. They have also done their share with the pick and shovel, in the way of digging trenches, etc. I have been frequently in the firing line, though, of course, my duties were generally behind the firing line. I was often busy with the stores, and in helping Quartermaster-Sergeant BOOCOCK, who always did his best for the lads in the matter of rations. He looked after the troops as if they were his own. Major CONNERY was very good to us all. He is the father of the battalion, and we think a great deal about him. The stretcher-bearers performed very good work in attending to the wounded, and deserve the highest praise. They were attending to the men right in the firing line many times. I got my wound on 23rd June. I was told to make a dug-out for Major NALL, and I had finished it, and left his place, and was sympathising with an Ashton lad who had got wounded - Private COOKE, I think it was - and was shoving him in a hole out of the way of the bullets, when I saw a shrapnel shell burst a short distance away. I ran to get out of the way of it, but it was a bit sharper than me, and one of the bullets wounded me in the left ankle. It fetched me down, and I got up once and tried to walk, but could not, and they had to carry me. Private COOKE shouted for the stretcher-bearers, and they took me down to the clearing station, and I was taken on a lurry to the base hospital. While at the base hospital I had a narrow escape. A shell burst right in the hospital, and a man who was in the next stretcher to me was killed outright. I was placed on board a hospital ship on June 28th, and was operated on while on the ship. I arrived in Ashton last Sunday, and was pleased to see the old place again, and I have to report myself for duty on Thursday. I am doing nicely, but my ankle prevents me walking so much." Sergeant BASHFORTH'S father, Mr. Edwin Bashforth, of Jermyn Street, Ashton, served 9 years in the Ashton Volunteers, and had the honour of attending the last drill in the Old Drill Hall and the first drill in the new Armoury. 

Published in the Reporter 25th September 1915. 

Private JAMES BURKE, of the 1/9th Battalion, Manchester Territorials, son of Mr. M. BURKE, of 1, Watts Place, Dukinfield, writes: - "I am glad to tell you we are still on headquarter guard. I think our time expires in a day or two. I saw one of my letters in the Ashton Reporter. My hands are still bad. I have been treated by the doctor now for nine weeks for septic poisoning, but there is not much chance yet of them getting better on account of so much digging in the trenches. The doctor has excused me from all duties whilst here. It seems strange to be quiet here when two hours by rail will bring us to the thick of the fighting. There are only 30 NCO.'s and men here. I told you in my previous letters about Uncle Joe getting wounded. I can't get to know anything of his whereabouts. I think he has been sent to Cairo. We see very little when out of the firing line. The last time we were in the trenches our men had the Turkish trenches enfiladed and were giving it to them so hot that the Turks deliberately got over their own parapets in a crush of about 50 with the intention of rushing to the reserve trench, but out of the whole crush only seven reached the trench alive. Some gunners dropped high explosive and shrapnel above it, and absolutely scattered them. They are a different lot of men to the Germans. True enough, our Red Cross has been shelled, but I fancy it was by German gunners, and I think the same are responsible for using burning fluid which was (illegible) on in the night with little or no effect."

Published in the Reporter 25th September 1915.


One of the saddest instances of the war that has come to our notice is that which has befallen Mr. and Mrs. G.H. Taylor, of 15, Spring Grove Terrace, Ashton. Each of their two sons has had to have his left leg amputated. One, Lance-Corporal ALBERT TAYLOR, is still a prisoner of war in Germany, and the other, Private 2496 PERCY TAYLOR, an Ashton Territorial, is now in the Victoria Hospital, Netley. On Thursday last, Mr. and Mrs. Taylor were surprised to receive a postcard, stating that their son, Private PERCY TAYLOR, of the Ashton Territorials, had been admitted to the Victoria Hospital, Netley. This was the first intimation they had had that PERCY had been wounded. A telegram was received later in the same day, which read: "Regret 2496 Private PERCY TAYLOR, 9th Manchesters is seriously ill here from gunshot wound. Left leg amputated - Netley Hospital." However, a letter was next received from the Rev. F.W. DUNCOMBE, of Southampton, which helped comfort Mr. and Mrs. Taylor to some degree. Mr. DUNCOMBE wrote: - "Dear Mr. Taylor, As chaplain at Netley Hospital, I saw your son, Private PERCY TAYLOR, 9th Manchesters, this afternoon. I understand he has not been able to send you any particulars except the postcard saying he is at Netley. I know how anxious you must be about him - hence this note. He was quite comfortable when I saw him. He was wounded on September 2nd, when with 13 others he was digging a trench to get shelter. He got a bullet wound through his left leg above the ankle. Then on going to get it dressed he got another wound in his right thigh. The latter wound is going on well, and will soon be all right. The wound in his left leg did not go so well, and while coming home on the ship 'Delta', the doctors, after trying to save the limb, were obliged to amputate at the knee. It was only when his left foot became dangerous that they resorted to amputation. Considering he only arrived in England yesterday, and had this operation last week, he is as comfortable as can be expected. He told me today that he is grateful to have got out of the fighting ranks with his life. So many lost their lives, but he has been spared. He will have every care and the most expert attention. I will go in and see him every time I am at Netley. He is in S 156B Ward, Royal Victoria Hospital, Netley. With every good wish, Yours sincerely, F.W. DUNCOMBE, Chaplain." In his recent letters Private Taylor was most cheery. He says it was quite a sensation being in the trenches. His last letter acknowledges the receipt of the Reporter. Private PERCY TAYLOR, who worked at Messrs. Cooper and Sons, High Bank Mills, enlisted in the 2/9th Manchesters after war broke out. Whilst at Peas Pottage he volunteered for foreign service, and on July 3rd left Devonport for the Dardanelles. He was a member of the United Methodist Church, Stamford Street, and took a great interest in the football club. He was a capable and clever player, and well liked by the team mates.

Lance Corporal ALBERT TAYLOR, of the 2nd Battalion, Manchester Regiment, is a prisoner of war at Paderburn, Westphalia. His home is at 32, William Street, Ryecroft, and was wounded in the leg in the early stages of the war. He was taken prisoner and subsequently his leg was amputated. 

Published in the Reporter 25th September 1915.


On Monday Mrs. Hennessey, of 82, Wellington Street, Ashton, a widow, received the following letter from her only son, Private EDWARD HENNESSEY, of the 1/9th Manchester Regiment, who, as reported in last weeks Reporter, was wounded during the fighting at Gallipoli. "I shall soon be all right and going back to the battalion. I dare say by the time you get this letter I shall be back, and I shall be glad to see my battalion again. I had a nice rest and a good bed for the last five weeks, and it has done me a world of good. I had the bullet taken out about two weeks ago, and I am going to keep it. It did not go right through my leg. It stopped in the bone, and the doctor had a job to take it out. I have been stationed at Mudros. It is an island about 30 miles from the Peninsula, and there are a lot of grapes here. I can get about very well now, so I shall soon be fit for duty. I shall be glad to see Teddy (Private EDWARD KERSHAW, of the Ashton Territorials - his best pal) again." 

Published in the Reporter 25th September 1915.


Mrs. Louisa Ryding, of 19, Turner Lane, Ashton, would like to hear from anyone who could give her any information regarding her son, Private 2061 HUGH DEVONPORT RYDING, of the Ashton Territorials, who was reported missing on June 7th at the Dardanelles.

Private RYDING, who was an insurance agent for the Scottish Legal Society prior to the war, was just 21 years of age.

(Private Hugh D Ryding was never found. He is recorded on the Helles Memorial to the missing). 

 Published in the Reporter 25th September 1915.


Corporal J.W.DODD, who is attached to the machine gun section of the 1/9th Battalion Manchester Regiment, son of Mr. and Mrs. Dodd, of 153, Burlington Street, Ashton, and who, as announced in the Reporter last week, was wounded in the leg while fighting on the Gallipoli Peninsula on August 7th, is making good progress. He is now in hospital at Plymouth, and writes on September 13th as follows: - " I have arrived in England. We are nice and comfortable, and have plenty of good food. I am able to walk a little today. I am going to have a piece of skin put on my leg, as the wound is too big to heal itself." The wound has not touched the bone, the bullet being buried in the flesh, according to a previous letter sent by Corporal DODD. A brother, Gunner ALBERT DODD, is serving with the Royal Field Artillery in France, where he has been engaged on active service for about ten weeks. In a letter to his parents he says: - " We are having it a bit quiet just now. I am writing this letter at one of our observation posts. I get 24 hours every eight days on the telephone. I have just been watching some of our shells bursting right in the German trenches. It is worth seeing. The other day we blew up one of their trench mortars and the men who were working it. We also dug one of their shells up that had not burst. It was about 9ft in solid hard clay." The observation post referred to by Gunner Dodd is a captive balloon, from which the effects of the British shellfire is seen, and the results telephoned to the battery below.

Published in the Reporter 25th September 1915.


News has been received of the death of Second-Lieutenant PERCY ASPDEN WOODHOUSE, of Adelaide Villas, Blackburn, and of the 9th Battalion Manchester Regiment. He went to the Dardanelles with a draft of his regiment on August 3rd. Here he was taken ill with dysentery, and was invalided home, but died on board the hospital ship just before passing Gibraltar, and was buried at sea. Lieutenant WOODHOUSE, was the only son of Mr. and Mrs. C.H. WOODHOUSE, of Blackburn, and held an appointment with Messrs. J.H. Agnew and Bro., cloth agents, Manchester. He was educated at the Blackburn Grammar School, and soon after war broke out he, along with a number of old boys, joined the 11th Hussars, and after six months training at Aldershot, was given a commission in the 2/9th Manchesters, and was with them at Southport and Pease Pottage. The deceased officer, who was in his twenty third year, was an enthusiast in amateur football and cricket. He had a bright and cheery disposition, and was very popular.

The Headlines of the Reporter on 2nd October 1915.



His Majesty the King visited wounded soldiers in the hospitals while on a visit to Leeds this week, and in one of the hospitals were two Ashton Territorials, with whom His Majesty heartily shook hands and engaged in conversation. The two Territorials were Private REGINALD POTTS, of 165, Margaret Street, Ashton, and Private TOM KILSHAW, of 37, Stocks Lane, Stalybridge. 

Private REGINALD POTTS, of 165, Margaret Street, Ashton, and Private TOM KILSHAW, of 37, Stocks Lane, Stalybridge, are proud men indeed. Both have had the honour of being presented to his Majesty the King. They belong to the Ashton Territorials, and both were in a hospital at Leeds, and they were seen by his Majesty during his visit to the Yorkshire town this week. During the time he was in the Dardanelles, Private POTTS he was bomb throwing throughout the worst of the fight, and four comrades were killed around him, but he continued his duty. When His Majesty came to Private POTTS he observed, "You are one of the brave Manchester boys." "I am one of the Ashton Pals," proudly replied Private POTTS. His Majesty shook hands heartily with private POTTS, and congratulated him, and hoped he would soon be well. The King also said the Manchester Territorials had had a trying time, but they had done some very brave deeds, and were to be congratulated. He was very proud of them.   

Private TOM KILSHAW, of 37, Stocks Lane, Stalybridge, another Ashton Territorial, has had the good fortune to converse with the King, for whom he has fought for. Private KILSHAW who has been wounded in Gallipoli is in Napier Ward No.2 East Leeds War Hospital. In a letter to his mother, Private KILSHAW says: - "The King paid us a visit this morning (September 28th). He said he hoped my wound would not be long before it was healed up. He asked me how I got wounded, and I told him. He was quite nice."

The story of Private KILSHAW is told in his hospital memoranda in view of the approaching visit of the King, and it says - "Private T. KILSHAW, Wounds, head. Left England July 3rd, and arrived at Gallipoli July 24th. Went up to the rest trenches for a few days, and then up to the first line trenches for a week, then returned to the rest camp for several days. The 42nd Division charged the Turkish trenches and took them, and then had to retire again; all but about 70 yards. This was on August 7th when he was in the bomb throwing section. He was wounded on September 5th, after being in the trenches another 12 days." Writing to his parents on September 8th from No. 3 Canadian Stationary Hospital, Mudros, Lemnos Bay, Private KILSHAW said - "Just a few lines to let you know that I got shot through the head on Sunday the 5th, but it is not bad, just a scalp wound. We were out sapping, when all of a sudden I felt something like a sledgehammer hit me, and I went over. About ten minutes later I came to again, and someone put a first field dressing on. From then I got passed on from dressing station to dressing station till I finally landed on the beach in the clearing hospital. I was there a day when we embarked for Mudros, which is about four hours sail from the Peninsula. We have all got a comfortable little cot each. It felt a treat, I can tell you, a clean shirt and a comfortable bed. It was a very near shave, I can tell you. The bullet went in at one side of the helmet and came out at the other. Another three quarters of an inch lower would have done it. I have thanked God many times since it was done, for preserving me." Private KILSHAW was sent from Lemnos to England on the 'Aquatania' hospital ship, and was subsequently sent to East Leeds Hospital from where he wrote to his mother saying they were treated fine.

Published in the Reporter 2nd October 1915.


Private ERNEST G ELLIS, of the Ashton Territorials, son of Mrs. ? (illegible) I, Hill Street, is now at the Military Hospital, Leeds. He was invalided home from the Dardanelles, having been shot through the lungs. Prior to the war he worked at Messrs. Lupton Bro., Ashton.

In a letter received from Private ELLIS on Sunday, he says that King George the Fifth was to visit the hospital where he was at on Monday. He regrets to hear that a friend of his, JACK FINUCANE has had the dysentery, which he says brings one down just like water running down a ditch. He could speak from experience, for he had had a slight touch of dysentery whilst at the Dardanelles.

Published in the Reporter 2nd October 1915.

TERRITORIALS GALLANTRY. An Ashton Corporal Sends Letter of Praise to the Reporter.

Corporal HARRY BOLTER, who resides at 9, St Anne's Street, Ashton, and is in the 1/9th Battalion, Manchester Regiment, writes to the Editor of the Reporter... "Will you kindly allow me space in your widely read paper to say a few words about the doings of the Ashton Territorials during the past twelve months. As you already know, after spending about eight months in that strange and wonderful country, Egypt, we were called upon to do our share in the fighting in the Dardanelles. As one who has been with them since the beginning of May, when we arrived here, I cannot speak too highly of the way in which the men have conducted themselves. The gallantry displayed by such men as Captain HAMER, Lieutenants JONES, STRINGER, and WADE, and the presence of Major CONNERY on the Peninsula, cannot fail to put courage into the shirkers of Ashton (let us hope there aren't any) so that they can come to the assistance of men who are still in the trenches, and have been for the past 17 weeks. A word of praise is also extended to the men of the 2/9th Manchesters for the way in which they have come forward to take the place of their fallen comrades. In conclusion, I might say that the noble self sacrifice made by the men of Ashton will endear them to the hearts of all."

Published in the Reporter 2nd October 1915.


In a letter recently received from Bandsman SAM INGHAM, of the Ashton Territorials, whose home is in Bennett Street, Ashton, and who is now in Alexandria, having been invalided from Gallipoli, reference is made to the brave manner in which Bandsman GEORGE MOSS, son of Mr. and Mrs. Moss, of 6, Portugal Street, Oxford Street, Ashton, had performed his duties as a stretcher bearer, and brought in the wounded under fire. Although only a youngster, in the opinion of Bandsman INGHAM young MOSS proved himself a hero, particularly in the work he did in Shrapnel Gully. Bandsman MOSS, who played the horn in the band of the 1/9th Battalion Manchester Regiment, worked as an iron turner at Messrs. Joshua Heap and Sons works, Ashton, and has been through the whole of the fighting with the Ashton Territorials in the Dardanelles. Rumour had been very busy during the past week. It is stated that Bandsman MOSS has been recommended for gallantry. How true this is we cannot say, but if the rumour is officially confirmed Ashton will still have further reason to be proud of her Territorials. Many acts and deeds of bravery pass unrecognised very often simply because no one who is in authority has seen them. It is not every brave soldier who receives his due reward.

Published in the Reporter 2nd October 1915.


Mr. and Mrs. Marland, of Lumb Lane, Littlemoss, have received a notification from the War Office that their son, ALBERT, who is in the 9th Battalion, Ashton Territorials is reported as missing since June 18th.

Seen on Wednesday afternoon, Mr. Marland said : "I have every reason to believe my son is alive, and a prisoner in Constantinople. He had been in the Territorials for three years. He was 20 years of age. Letters have come to hand from his chums which give me hope. I went over to Middleton to see Mr. Wright, who formerly farmed at Littlemoss, who had had a letter from one of his men who was near ALBERT when a shell burst. He stated that my son jumped across the trench, and was picked up by the Turks. ALBERT'S bugle was found almost a mile away, and when the man HEWITT was wounded and taken to the hospital he was anxious to take care of the bugle, and bring it to England, but the Turks took it from him." In another letter from a soldier it was stated that Drummer 1263 ALBERT MARLAND was a prisoner. Mr. and Mrs. Marland have received sympathetic consideration from their friends, but they would be glad if any of the Ashton Territorials who are invalided home could give them any further information respecting their son. (Drummer Albert Marland was never found. He is recorded on the Helles Memorial to the missing).

Published in the Reporter 2nd October 1915.

TERRITORIAL HONOURS - Dukinfield Sergeant and Trail Hunt With the Turks.

Sergeant J. CHAPMAN, 1/9th Battalion Manchester Regiment, writing on September 14th to his friend, Mr. W. Hartley, 45, Peel Street, Dukinfield, says: - " We have a few good trail hunts here when the Turks make an attack, but you should see them going back. They are like rabbits ready to drop in the first hole. But, for all that, they are good fighters and clean with it. That's more than the Germans can say, and I think if it were not for the German officers they would give up, as all the prisoners we take say they are fed up. I don't think it will last long now. I often think about the fun we used to have when my father used to talk about Saturday night soldier. But you ought to see the lads go into action, just like veterans. We landed here on May 9th under a very heavy bombardment, and from then until about three weeks ago it has been very hot work. We have got more honours than any other regiment out here. We have got a V.C. D.S.O. three D.C.M.'s and three others have been recommended. So you can see that the 9th have been doing their bit, and Ashton should be proud of them. I shall have a lot to tell you when this is over." Sergeant CHAPMAN lived in Pickford Lane, and was a core-maker before the war.

Published in the Reporter 2nd October 1915.

GENERAL'S PRAISE - Ashton Territorial Who Performed a Gallant Action. CORPORAL H. TRUNKFIELD.

Further stories of the brave deeds of the Ashton Territorials in the Dardanelles continue to reach us, and the glory earned in the "Vineyard" on August 7th is gradually becoming manifest. Another Territorial has received the congratulations of the General commanding the 42nd Division. Corporal HARRY TRUNKFIELD, whose home is at 10, Smallshaw Lane. Hurst, has received a card from Major General W. DOUGLAS, which reads: - " The General Officer commanding the 42nd (East Lancashire) Division congratulates No. 1182 Corporal H. TRUNKFIELD, 1/9th Battalion Manchester Regiment on the gallant action performed by him on August 7th, 1915. Signed W. DOUGLAS (Major General)". An account of the deeds that led Corporal TRUNKFIELD being congratulated upon his gallantry says : -

"After a fierce encounter with the Turks, the East Lancashire Brigade made several charges on the morning of August 7th. The Ashton Territorials were in support. At about 3.30 the Turks counter-attacked very heavily, and the Terriers were rushed in at the double, Corporal TRUNKFIELD'S platoon leading with their officer at the front. We had great difficulty in getting in," says the writer, "as the Turks were bombing the ------ out, and were being shelled by our artillery. We pushed on, got to the sap, where the officer, Corporal TRUNKFIELD, and another man, built up a temporary barricade of sandbags with a loop hole to fire through. The Turks appeared several time whilst we were on the job, but the way they were stopped was by four men lying on top of the parapet, exposed to heavy fire. Corporal TRUNKFIELD, after one man had been shot, helped to complete the barricade, and for their bravery he and a drummer were recommended by their officer." Private JOE TRUNKFIELD, brother of Corporal TRUNKFIELD, went through part of the affair with him.

Published in the Reporter 2nd October 1915.


On returning to her home at Stalybridge from a holiday spent at Blackpool, Miss Evelyn Morley had received a letter notifying her of the death of her sweetheart, Pte 2195 HARRY KENYON, of "D" Company, 1/9th Manchester Regiment, Ashton Territorials. Pte. KENYON and Miss Morley had kept company for the past four years.

Pte. KENYON, resided with his sister on Oxford Street, Ashton. He was a platelayer at Guide Bridge in the employ of the Great Central Railway Company until the outbreak of war. He joined the Ashton Territorials on the 1st September last year and four days later went away with them to Egypt, where he underwent training. He was drafted some time ago to the Dardanelles, and it appears from the news to hand that he was killed in action on August 29th. Miss Morley took advantage of the Stalybridge holidays to go to Blackpool, and the news in the letter, which was at her home when she got back naturally gave her a great shock. It was dated August 29th, and was a follows: -

"Dear Miss Morley, It is with the deepest regret that I have to inform you of the death of your dear sweetheart, Private HARRY KENYON. He met his death on the above date about 6.15 am whilst engaged in his duties in the firing line. Perhaps it will ease your great sorrow to know that he suffered no pain, death being instantaneous. He was very popular with all the officers; N.C.O.'s and men of "D" Company, and all deeply regret the loss of a true comrade. He was buried by his comrades just behind the firing line in a decent Christian grave, a minister being in attendance. He was a brave soldier, ever ready to do his duty, and I know you will feel his loss very much. Trusting that God and time, the great healers will ease your pain. I am yours sincerely, C. FINCH. Co.Sergt. Major, D Company." By a melancholy coincidence the same post which brought news of his death, also brought a letter from Private KENYON to Miss Morley. This letter was undated and was in reply to one which she had sent on Stalybridge Wakes Sunday. In a previous letter Private KENYON said - "We have just come out of the firing line after 21 days of it. . . Remember me to all my friends, and your mother and father, and tell them we are still keeping the old flag flying." Private KENYON was only 22 years of age. As a boy he attended St. Stephen's Day School, Audenshaw, and on Sunday morning special reference to his death was made by the Rev. A.C. Sinclair, vicar. (Harry Kenyon is recorded on the Helles Memorial to the missing).

Published in the Reporter 2nd October 1915.

A HOT TIME - Ashton Territorial Laid on the Turkish Trenches.

Corporal R. WARNER, of the 1/9th Manchester Regiment, has returned to his home at the Lakes, Dukinfield, having been invalided from the Dardanelles. "The fighting was very fierce," he said to a Reporter representative. "The Turks were stubborn, and we had to give them a terrific bombardment before we could move them. The Turks even at that time were more or less fed up with the war. They are firmly convinced that it is not war, but the end of the world. Of narrow escapes I have had many; in fact, you get so many that you take no notice of them - you get used to them. It is a case of here one minute, gone the next. You never know when you are going to be spotted out. The worst time I had was when we were advancing and trying to take a trench from the Turks. There was no bombardment and no cheering. We tried to take them by surprise. We expected to find this trench held by about a dozen or two dozen snipers, and when we got there we found it was full of Turks, and as a matter of fact they appeared to be ready to charge us. Lieut. WADE and several others got into the trench, and they have never been seen since. It is supposed they have been taken prisoners, as they are reported missing. Seeing as we were outnumbered, we laid on the parapet and started firing down the trench until the order was given to us to retire, as it was too hot to hold. We retired back to our old trenches, and the Turks followed us, and there was a terrific battle. It took us a long time to hold our own trenches, as shells were dropping right in them. The Turks had got the range well, and they were using shells, bombs, and hand grenades, and all sorts of things were falling into the trench, and that night we lost a number of men. Later on I received a shrapnel wound in the leg. I was going down a gully, and the Turks started shelling us, and a piece struck me, but it was only a slight wound, and I did not leave the Peninsula. When I got well again I got back to the firing line, but shortly afterwards I had to report sick, and was taken to Lemnos and Alexandria, afterwards coming home."

Published in the Reporter 2nd October 1915.


Mrs. S. Turner, of 7, Delamere Street, Ashton, and formerly of 3, Bank Street, has received official information that her son, Pioneer Private 1402 CEPHAS TURNER, died on August 30th from wounds received during the fighting in Gallipoli. Private CEPHAS TURNER was in the 1/9th Manchester Regiment, and was a member of the Ashton Territorials for about 18 months before the outbreak of hostilities. He was only 19 years of age.

Mrs. Turner received on September 1st a letter, dated August 24th, from her son, and it is difficult for her to realise that he died so soon afterwards. In the communication he says - "We are now on the beach. There are some monitors here. It is fine here to see the naval guns firing when the shells light on the hill Achi Baba. It is like a cauliflower in shape, but of course, of a different size." Mrs. Turner has quite a number of relatives who are serving their country. Only on Tuesday she had a letter stating that a brother-in-law, who is in the Middleton Territorials, has been killed, while another brother-in-law is serving on a submarine, and two nephews, one is in the Life Guards and the other in Kitcheners Army. Still another brother-in-law, Mr. P. RYAN, formerly of Denton, and a member of the Ashton Territorials, is in Canada engaged in drilling recruits. (Cephas Turner is recorded on the Helles Memorial to the missing).

Published in the Reporter 2nd October 1915.


Mrs. J. Porter, of 118, Park Road, Tame Valley, Dukinfield, has received information from the Territorial Record Office, Preston, that her son, Private JOSEPH WEST, of the 9th Manchesters, is in the Kings General Hospital, London, suffering from severe wounds sustained in the Dardanelles on September 15th. Prior to going out with the battalion to Egypt, Private WEST was employed at the Old Mill, Dukinfield. Writing to his mother on the 16th September, from the hospital, Private WEST said - " No doubt by this time you will be rather uneasy about me, but you have no need to worry as I am still alive and kicking, only I have got about a bit. The Turks happened to get the better of us. Well, at least they think they did. They undermined and blew our trench up, and I happened to be nearby with the bombing party at the time of the explosion. After the explosion I found myself buried with dirt and debris, and after an examination they found my leg was broken. Of course it is not much, but it means lying in hospital for a while, which is not so bad for a change. We get a good supply of cigs, and tobacco, and the chaps that are walking about go for motor rides round London and the country, so you see we are not doing so bad. I shall probably be home on sick leave in a short space of time, and then you will see I am none the worse for my little adventure. I went under x-ray today, and shall know the result tomorrow. This is a grand hospital, right in the heart of London, one of the largest of its kind. I came over on H.M.S. Delta, which set sail on 3rd September (the day I was wounded), I was going to Manchester, but they bundled me off to London."

Published in the Reporter 2nd October 1915.

ASHTON TERRITORIAL - Dukinfield Man's Narrow Escape of Being Buried Alive.

Sergeant-Major FINCH, of the 1/9th Battalion, Manchester Territorials, has sent word to Mrs. McDonald, of Old Road, Dukinfield, that her husband, Private JAMES McDONALD, of the same battalion, has been wounded at the Dardanelles. He was in the trenches when an enemy shell burst on the parapet. Private McDONALD was completely buried by the debris, and it was with difficulty that he was extracted. Fortunately he was able to use his hands, and was able to scoop the earth away in front of him. There were no bones broken, but he received a severe internal crushing, and is in hospital. Private McDONALD is well known in local football circles, and succeeded Sergeant-Major FINCH in the office of secretary to the Dukinfield F.C. He was a spinner at the Minerva Mill before going out to the war.

Published 9th October 1915.


"He died that others might be free. Better love hath no man than this." said Mrs. Bolter, of 9, St. Ann Street, Hurst, although nearly frantic with grief at the news of the death of her husband, Corporal 921 HARRY BOLTER, of the Ashton Territorials, in attempting to soothe the anguish of his mother, who had lost her only son. The bond of affection between Corporal BOLTER and his wife and mother was very great, and his loss whilst doing his duty to his King and country had created genuine sorrow amongst all who knew him. Mrs. Bolter had regularly received cheerful letters from her husband until a fortnight ago. He hoped his lucky star would continue, but in the event of anything happening he consigned her and the children (one of whom, a babe of nine months, he had never seen) into Gods keeping. On Sunday Mrs. Bolter received an official notification that her husband had been wounded, shot through the head, but on Wednesday she received another intimation that he had died from his injuries on September 10th. Corporal Bolter worked at Messrs. Schofield's ironworks, Mossley, prior to the mobilisation. (Cpl. Harry Bolter is recorded on the Helles Memorial to the missing).

Published in the Reporter 9th October 1915.


Private 2897 HARRY CLEGG, son of Mrs. Mary Clegg, of 7, Abingdon Street, Cockbrook, Ashton, is officially reported to have been killed on September 4th. He met his death whilst bomb throwing.

Private CLEGG, who was 24 years of age, worked at Whitelands Twist Co. Ashton, as a piecer, prior to joining the 2/9th Battalion, Manchester Regiment. He was educated at Christ Church Schools, Stalybridge, and attended St. Gabriel's Sunday School, Ashton. He was a member of the St. Gabriel's football and cricket teams. The news of his death was received on Saturday.

A letter written by Private A. FOX, of the Ashton Territorials (whose home is at 111, Burlington Street, Ashton, but who is now lying wounded with crushed ribs at Oakbank Military Hospital, Glasgow), states simply the way in which Private CLEGG met his death: - " On September 3rd, HARRY and I were told off for bomb-throwing - in fact, HARRY volunteered to come with me. We went in the firing line about 9.30am, and took up our positions in the bomb station. About dinner time the Turks blew up the bomb station and twenty yards of the trench, so you can guess what chance there was for any of them. I was about 25 yards away, under the Turks trench, listening, but HARRY was just about where the explosion occurred, and would be buried under tons of earth." In his last letter home, dated August 28th, Private CLEGG wrote - " We had it hot the first day we went in the trenches. That was because there was a bombardment on, and we had to make a charge. I was all right. One of the lucky ones, which I hope I always shall be. We came out of our dug-outs today, and we are now in supports, i.e., in the trenches at the back of the firing line. It is almost as safe here as in the dug-outs." Writing on an earlier date, Private CLEGG said: - "As I write, we are under shell fire, and I tell you it is very dangerous. It is just a week ago today (July 30th) since we landed. We shall take it as it comes, and trust to luck. I don't think it will last long on this side, but before it is over there will be a lot more lives lost." (Harry Clegg is recorded on the Helles Memorial to the missing).

Published in the Reporter 9th October 1915.

The relatives of Private 2304 PERCY GARSIDE, of the 1/9th Manchester Regiment (Ashton Territorials), of 12, Whitehead Street, Dukinfield, have received a letter from the Records Office to the effect that he was reported missing as from September 3rd. However, the following letter written by a comrade of his, Private DAVID THORPE, whose home in near the County Bridge, Dukinfield, written to a friend, Mr. Arthur Lister, of Crescent Road, Dukinfield, was sent on September 4th, the day following that upon which Private Garside was said to be missing: - "I am very sorry to tell you that PERCY GARSIDE was killed yesterday (September 3rd). He was working in a sap with some more of our fellows when the Turks blew it up by an undermine. Everything was done that was possible to save him, but they could not get him out in time."

The last message received from Private GARSIDE was written a few days before to his aunt, Miss Mostram, with whom he had resided at Whitehead Street for years. "I have had my first experience in the trenches. Our Company has been in the trenches for three days, and we have had only one killed and two injured. We are now in the support trenches. We went in on August 23rd and came out on August 26th. You are hardly safe in any part here, as their snipers are all over the place. I don't think it will last as long as some people think." Private PERCY GARSIDE was only 19 years of age. (Percy Garside is recorded on the Helles Memorial to the missing).

Published in the Reporter 9th October 1915.


Within the space of about six weeks, Private FRANK ASHWORTH, of the 2/9th Battalion, Manchester Regiment, left England for the Dardanelles, went into the trenches, and was invalided home with rheumatism. Private ASHWORTH, who resides with his sister, Mrs. Booth, at 15, Arlington Street, Ashton, worked as a piecer at the Britannia Mills, Mossley, before he joined the 1st Reserve Battalion of the Ashton Territorials just before Christmas. After undergoing training at Southport and Peas Pottage, he left England with a draft from the 2/9th on August 3rd. He contracted rheumatism through exposure in the trenches. He returned to England about a fortnight ago, and was taken to the West Derby Military Hospital at Liverpool. He is now at the Summerdown Convalescent Camp, Eastbourne, Sussex, and may be allowed to proceed home in a week or so. He writes to his sister saying that his removal from Liverpool was somewhat sudden. Room was wanted for the men who had been wounded in the big push in France. He was being very well treated, and says that he has met three or four Mossley men there, including Wadilow's lad. There are about 2000 convalescent soldiers at the camp, and they can have motor rides whenever they want.

Published in the Reporter 9th October 1915.

MAJOR M.H. CONNERY - Interesting News of the Boys in Gallipoli.

Major M.H. CONNERY, writing to a friend in Ashton, says - " I still keep very fit, and do not intend to leave the dear old 9th. They have done grandly. I must look after the boys, and see they have good food and clothes, and will only return to Ashton with the residue of the 9th. Captain FORSHAW, V.C. and his Company did splendidly, so have Lieutenant SUTTON and Lieut. COOKE. General DOUGLAS tells us we are the best men - thanks to Colonel D.H. WADE, for he worked and trained us day and night in Cairo. As you know, we had a lot of recruits when we left Ashton for Bury, and they were not trained until we arrived in Egypt. It grieves all that are left of us that Colonel WADE is not here with us to see the result of his hard work, but I hope he will be able to meet us at Southampton, and lead us back to Ashton-Under-Lyne. There are only Captain F. WOODHOUSE, F.W. KERSHAW, G.W. HANDFORTH, and E. RICHARDSON left of those officers who left Ashton with the 9th, and Lieutenants H.G. SHATWELL, P.S. MARSDEN, H. BUTTERWORTH, and J. BROADBENT of those who joined us at Bury. The others are either killed, wounded, invalided home, or in hospital. Major HOWORTH has gone to the hospital at Malta. We had simply to force him to admit himself sick. Things are very quiet here just now. I miss dear old BOOCOCK, my Q.M.S., and my little foreman. They served me well." 

Published in the Reporter 9th October 1915.


The last honours were paid to a departed comrade on Thursday afternoon by the Ashton Territorials from the Armoury, when the remains of Private SAMUEL ARMITAGE, of the 1/9th Battalion, Manchester Regt. who died at the Welsh Metropolitan Military Hospital, Whitchurch, near Cardiff, on Sunday, were interred at Hurst Cemetery.

Private ARMITAGE was 39 years of age. He leaves a wife and five children. His home was at 161, Whiteacre Road, Hurst, and prior to the war he was employed as a packer at the Copley Mills, Stalybridge, but he had previously worked at the Hurst Mills. He went out with the Ashton Territorials to Egypt, and from there to the Dardanelles, where he was wounded twice, through the face and shoulder. The first occasion was on May 23rd, and the second on June 9th. He was invalided home to England, but although he was recovering nicely from his wounds he succumbed to dysentery, which he contracted on the voyage home. Although Mrs. Armitage had the privilege of seeing her husband at the hospital at Cardiff, he never recovered sufficiently to permit him to visit Ashton. A thorough soldier, Private ARMITAGE was very popular in the battalion. He had seen service before he joined the Territorials in the K.O. Shropshire Light Infantry, and had seen service in India. He was one of three brothers who had been soldiers. His brother JOSEPH was in the South Lancashire Regiment, and was killed at Ladysmith in the South African war. Another brother, Mr. GEORGE ARMITAGE, of Cotton Street, served in the old Volunteers and in the Territorials, and when the war broke out he joined the South Lancashires. Whilst at the Dardanelles, Private ARMITAGE acted as servant to Brigadier-General PRENDERGAST, who thought highly of him. After Private ARMITAGE had been wounded, General PRENDERGAST before leaving for home, wrote to him regretting that he had to embark without seeing him, and that he could not accompany him as his servant.

Published in the Reporter 9th October 1915.

YOUNG ASHTON TERRITORIAL - Invalided From the Dardanelles.

Private JOHN COFFEY, 1/9th Manchesters, has been invalided home, consequent on quinsy and dysentery. After several long spells in the trenches in Gallipoli he developed throat trouble, and was sent to an island hospital, where he developed dysentery. He was sent to Egypt, where he was nursed by Nurse Sheard, of Ashton. Being transferred to Aldershot, he was given ten days leave, and must report for orders at Ashton Armoury today (Saturday). A piecer at Cedar Mill, and a member of St. Mary's Boys' Brigade, he joined the Terriers at an early age, and at the present time is only 17 years and a month old. He is six feet high, and shapes at being strong and fit again soon. He is very reticent about his experiences in the trenches, but he is loud in his praise of the conduct of the 1/9th and of the officers. While he was in the trenches he had a pleasant surprise in meeting his uncle, Lance-Corporal JACK KELLY, who had gone out with a draft of the 2/9th, and who is still in the firing line. He did not know of the death of his chum, JOHN O'CONNOR, until he reached Ashton. Just before his own collapse the electrical firm for whom O'CONNOR worked had applied for his release to work on munitions. Private COFFEY is loud in his praise of Major CONNERY, who called the whole battalion "my boys," and he was truly a "father" to them in a hundred and one ways, and by his kindly sympathy cheered many a poor wounded or invalided Ashton lad. Private COFFEY is an orphan, and is staying with his aunt, Mrs. E. Byrne. There were two JOHN COFFEY'S in the 1/9th, the other being JOHN COFFEY of York Street, Ashton. 

bottom of page