top of page

1915 PAGE 10



The Headlines of the Reporter, 7th August 1915 -



Published in the Reporter 7th August 1915.


"A man of iron, nerve, and impervious to pain and suffering", will no doubt be the verdict of those who read the story of Private ROBERT DALEY, 1/9th Battalion, Manchester Regiment, Territorials, who returned wounded to his home, 5, Glebe Street, Ashton, on Tuesday night.

Search the whole town through, and it would be difficult to find a finer example of British pluck and endurance. There were great rejoicings in Glebe Street, and the heroic Territorial was given an enthusiastic reception by hundreds of residence in the locality. The street was decorated with flags and streamers, and the doorway of his home was adorned with trophies of flags and a large motto with the words "A hearty welcome home to our son".

A strapping young fellow of 19 years, standing close upon six feet high, and well proportioned, Private DALEY looked every inch a soldier. Unfortunately for him he had left an eye behind in the service of his country, and his body bore the honourable scars of battle.

"My only regret," said Private DALEY, "is that I have lost my sighting eye, and consequently I may not be permitted to return and fight side by side with my comrades who are pounding the Turks at the Dardanelles. I didn't want to leave the lads".

Private DALEY was first shot in the leg on June 8th. He calmly extracted the bullet himself by means of his pocket-knife, bandaged the wound with the pugaree from his helmet, and then went on fighting. He did not consider the wound to be sufficiently serious to report it to his superior officer. For 11 days, with stoical indifference to the pain, he continued to give the Turks a taste of his marksmanship. Then another bullet found him, and after grazing his neck and drawing blood, it lodged in his right arm. Even this did not prevent him from using the arm, and for another two days he continued to 'pot' the enemy. Noticing blood on his neck and clothing, a field officer apprised him of the fact, and advised him to get down to the hospital at the base. "I'd rather stay with the lads" was his reply as he fought on with the injured arm. Then he took up the role of sniper, and engaged in a duel at short range with an enemy sniper whom he succeeded in locating. The Turk had, however, got his tripod gun trained on the position occupied by Private DALEY, and whilst the latter was sighting him the Turk shot him in the eye. With three wounds Private DALEY had perforce to go to hospital. After bandaging his head he lit a cigarette, and accomplished the distance to the hospital on foot, not forgetting to give the Turks a parting shot on the way as something to remember him by. He was subsequently placed under treatment in the hospital ship where the injured eye was removed and the bullet extracted from his arm. "I felt very little pain," said Private DALEY, "and my thoughts were directed towards carrying out the object which we had in view. I hardly knew I had been wounded. When C Company was making the memorable bayonet charge in which so many of our men were killed, including Captain HAMER and Lieutenant STRINGER, our Company was on top of the parapet firing rapidly in order to cover them. It was then that I received the bullet wound in my arm. I was determined that where the lads went I would go and I stuck to it until I could stand it no longer. That confounded sniper got the better of me, and perhaps he was a better shot than me. I went with the heart of a soldier, and as a soldier I did my duty". Private DALEY is one of fifteen members of the family who have donned khaki, five of whom have been wounded. He formerly worked in the engine room at Park Road Spinning Company. The family have been connected with St. Mary's Church for many years. The father, Mr. Edward Daley, is employed at the Ashton gasworks.

Published in the Reporter 7th August 1915.


Lance Corporal A. WILLERTON, of B Company, 9th Manchesters, whose home is at 5, Tunnel Street, Stalybridge, writing to his brother from the base depot, Mustapha Pacha Camp, Alexandria, again refers to his injury reported about a month ago. He says - "The bullet took the bottom of my shoulder blade off, about an inch of it. Only for a stiff arm, I am ready to go back to the front. When you were farming you used to talk about getting soaked through. How would you like to get wet through, then go to sleep in about four or six inches of mud, and wake up suddenly to hear a bullet go 'ping' past your head? When you hear them 'ping' you know then they have missed, and then you smile. There is no parting of the hair out here, for the simple reason we have none to part. We were all close cropped before we went to the front, just like convicts. I have met a chap who was wounded when I was. He knew you when you worked at Millwards. He lives next door to Cyril Hall, in Park Lane. I think he said he was called Sutcliffe".

Published in the Reporter 7th August 1915.


Two brothers named Private HARRY HESKETH and Private ALBERT HESKETH, sons of Mr. and Mrs. Hesketh, of 79, Church Street, Ashton, are with the Ashton Territorials fighting in the Dardanelles, and news has been received that HARRY has been wounded. HARRY is 28 years of age, and is married and has two children. He was a spinner at Reyner's Mill, and lived in Portland Street. He had been in the Territorials for four years, and had completed his time, but re-enlisted when the war broke out. During the fighting against the Turks he was struck with shrapnel in the forehead when coming out of the trenches, and has been in hospital. Private ALBERT HESKETH is 24 years of age, and lived with his parents. He was a piecer at the Minerva Mill, and was well known as a swimmer. He was a member of the Ashton Swimming Club, and two years ago won the John Knott Cup. He was also a well known footballer, and has played for Ashton and Dukinfield clubs. He joined the Ashton Territorials after war was declared. He enlisted in September, was in khaki next day, and was on board ship the following day en-route for Egypt. Private HARRY HESKETH has sent home some very interesting letters of which two are given below:- From H.P.H. Hospital, Alexandria. "I never expected seeing this place, which is outside the city on the coast. It is a lovely little place, similar to Cleveleys, Blackpool. It is a field hospital about 20 yards off the beach, and we have nothing to do only lie down and sleep. Even lying down we can look out across the sea, and watch the ships going up and down. I met with an accident last Wednesday morning, and before I knew where I was I found myself on a boat bound for Alexandria. So you see how soon a chap is looked after. The wounded are picked up and taken to the clearing hospital, and from there are sent here to get better, and they know how to look after you. We have plenty of food and clean clothing, and the staff are very attentive. I wouldn't mind stopping here a week or two, but I expect I shall be with the Battalion again shortly. I have sent our ALBERT a letter telling him where I was. I only hope and trust that he is all right, as I feel very anxious about him, as I know what it is like out there. You never know one minute from another whether you will see the next day or not. The doctor has taken the bandage off my head this morning, but I am to be examined for the nervous system, as my head pains me so much, but I expect it will wear off. I shan't be sorry to get home again, though we have done very well up to now. A fellow gets fed up when he has been away from his home a long time, and I want to be seeing the children, as I seem to be missing the best part of them. I daresay Alice won't know me when I do get back, and I think our George will be doubtful; ten months is a long time without seeing them, but we shall soon get to know each other".

From Base Camp Mustapha, Alexandria, Egypt, Private HARRY HESKETH writes - "I am doing very nicely, but I am not feeling as well as I did before being knocked out. Ah, well, accidents will happen, and I might have been blown to pieces, and then there would have been a mess wouldn't there? Thank God it is no worse, and while there's life there's hope, and I am hoping to come back safe and sound and live at peace when we have settled with this lot. When we have got without the Turks, which won't be long, they ought to give us a chance over in France. I can assure you the East Lancashire Division can do a bit; you ask the Turks. We shall have the Dardanelles open shortly. We know it's no easy job, but we are determined, and when the Lancashires say they'll do it, you bet somebody is going to get hurt. The 29th Division are fine fellows, and along with the Australians and New Zealanders have made the Turks run above once, and will do so again. They don't care for the bayonet. Captain HAMER chased a large number of them himself with nothing but the bayonet. He met a brave death, and he was a gentleman, so are a great number of the officers. We are, indeed, proud of the fact that we are engaged in the greatest military history of the world, and prove that the old country is still as good today as it was in the days of Marlborough and Wellington. Of course we are not getting off scot free, but our losses are nothing compared with the Turks. The day I came away was the end of a two day's fight when the Turks lost 7000 killed and wounded. They were simply mown down, just like cutting a meadow. It was awful, but it's war, and the more we kill the sooner it will be over".

 Published in the Reporter 7th August 1915.


One of Five Ashton Brothers Killed.

A well known Ashton family, known as the "Fighting Gormans," have suffered a further loss by the death in action of Corporal THOMAS GORMAN, 1/9th Battalion, Manchester Regiment (Territorials), which is reported to have taken place at the Dardanelles on June 15th. An official intimation has been received by his mother, who resides at 74, Crickets Lane, Ashton. He was one of the five brothers serving with the King's colours in addition to numerous relatives, one of whom, Private THOMAS GORMAN, a cousin, was killed whilst fighting with the Shropshires in France. Referring to his death, his brother, Private FRED GORMAN, who is also in the Dardanelles states, - " He was a good soldier, and he died the soldiers death. He was struck by shrapnel, and his death was painless. I was present when he died. He was unconscious from the first, and could not speak to me". Private GORMAN formerly worked at the Minerva Spinning Co. Ashton.

Published in the Reporter 7th August 1915.


Turkish Shell Dropped in Dug-out.

“I am jolly glad to get back to Ashton again,” said Private HARRY HAUGHTON, one of the Ashton Territorials, who has returned home to 15, Wych Street, Ashton, after being wounded at the Dardanelles on July 8th. Private HAUGHTON, who was a collier at the New Moss Colliery before the war, was engaged in sapping and mining about 10.30 pm on July 8th, and was just stepping out of the trench when a sniper seized his opportunity, and he was shot through the left hand and the end of the middle finger of the left hand. “The snipers are terrors,” said Private HAUGHTON, “they paint themselves green and the rifles green, and bury themselves in pits, and you cannot see them. The Ashton boys have fought hard and well. What they have had to do they have done properly. I was in A Company, and we have had some exciting times. On one occasion about 22nd June, our section had one of the narrowest escapes from death possible. I and about six or seven of the chaps on this photograph were sat in our dug-out, about two yards across, when all of a sudden an 'Asiatic Annie' shell – similar to a 'Jack Johnson' and high explosive, dropped in the middle of the hole and exploded. Poor ENOCH MARTYN, of Droylsden, was blown 50 feet in the air, and the rest of us were all knocked over and shaken by the concussion and buried with dirt. Our rifles were broken in pieces. The lads who were with me in the dug-out were: - Pte. 596 HARRY WHITEHEAD, Pte. 2148 STANLEY PEARSON, Pte. 1150 FRED ARMITAGE, Pte. 512 JOHNNY MORGAN, Pte. 2147 JOHN HENRY BRYAN, Pte. 1298 ENOCH MARTYN, Lance Corporal 1969 FRANK THICKETT. The Turks were always shelling and sniping at us. The range of the guns was two hundred yards into the sea, and the hospital ship was shelled whilst it was waiting in the water. When I was wounded we were shelled out of the hospital and had to leave it. We could not even go bathing without being sniped at. We were with the Inniskillings for a time, and used to fall in with them for bathing parade. All the time we were in the water the bullets kept flying about, but all the same we enjoyed the bathing, the sea was so nice and warm. I saw GERALD MASSEY killed. He just put his head above the parapet when a shot entered his head. He was very well liked, because he was always so cheerful. Colonel WADE was shot by a sniper not far from the spot where I was wounded. He was just stepping across some men who were sleeping in order not to disturb them when he was shot. His son, Lieutenant JACK WADE, jumped into a Turkish trench with six other men. They were never seen again, and we don't know whether they were killed or not. One of our lads, Private W. SHUTTLEWORTH, killed a lot of Turks before he was killed himself. He was a brave lad, and if he had lived would certainly have been promoted. The shot that killed him came through a loophole. Before he was killed the parapet of our trench had been blown in, and the Turks started charging down the gully. There were only six Territorials in the trench, but we held them. We must have fired 200 rounds that night. SHUTTLEWORTH, with his machine gun supply mowed them down, and next morning the place was full of dead Turks. Everybody was very kind to me on the journey home, and, so I said, it is a treat to be back in Ashton again”.

 Published in the Reporter 7th August 1915.


His First Experience in the Trenches.

Private FRED McDONNELL, of the Ashton Territorials, son of Mr. and Mrs. P. McDonnell, whose home is at 29, Brook Street, Ashton, is reported missing. He was only 18 years of age, and worked as a miner at the New moss Colliery. He joined the Territorials before the outbreak of the war. In his last letter to his brother he describes his first experience of warfare, having come out of the trenches after five days. He says that they could not see the Turks, but if anyone raised his head above the trench he was a dead man. He was pleased to hear that his brother HARRY McDONNELL had joined the 3/9th Ashton Territorials.

Published in the Reporter 7th August 1915.


Another Audenshaw soldier has fallen in the Dardanelles, a member of the 1/9th Battalion Manchester Regiment, Ashton Territorials. Pte. 1393 PERCY TILBURY was only 22 years of age, and met his death from Turkish shrapnel fire. Letters that were taken from his pocket have been sent home to his parents, Mr and Mrs Fred Tilbury, who reside at 180, Katherine Street, Ashton. The letters are stained in several places with blood. Private TILBURY was born in Hooley Hill, where he resided for over 14 years, coming with his parents to Ashton seven years ago. He was employed at the Shepley Mills Linoleum Works, where his father is a printer. A quiet lad, well respected amongst his comrades, he was a great favourite, also being the youngest boy in the home he was naturally beloved by his parents, brotJOHN THOMPSON.jpghers, and sisters.

Last week Private JACK THOMPSON, one of his comrades, who saw TILBURY fall, in a letter home asked his own relatives to convey the sad news very gently and kindly to Private TILBURY'S mother, who has been in indifferent health for some time. Also the sergeant of the Company made a similar request, but on Thursday morning the official news was received.

Private TILBURY fell while doing his duty, and was buried side by side with other brave Ashton Territorials, who have made their names illustrious by their gallantry and heroism in the Dardanelles. (Percy Tilbury died on the 12th July. He is buried in the Redoubt Cemetery, Helles). Pictured left is Pte. JACK THOMPSON, of 17, Princess St. Hurst.

Published in the Reporter 7th August 1915.


Two Brothers Who Were in the Ashton Territorials.

Official news has this week been received by Mr. J. Daley, of 48, Park Street, Ashton, that his son, Private J.W. DALEY, aged 20, of the 1/9th Battalion, Manchester Regiment, Ashton Territorials, is missing. It is, however, feared that an even worse fate has befallen him. Last week a letter was received from Private J. ANDERSON, of Mill Lane, who is with the Territorials in the Dardanelles, stating that Private DALEY had been killed, and this week another letter has been received from Private ALBERT HESKETH, 79, Church Street, of the Ashton Territorials, stating that Private J.W. DALEY had met his death in a bayonet charge. Private DALEY had been in the Ashton Territorials about four years, and before going to the war he was a piecer Newton Moor. A brother, Private JOHN DALEY, who was also in the Ashton Territorials, has died of disease; he was 18 years of age. The Daley family have indeed been very hard hit by the war, as, in addition to the two above mentioned, a brother of Mrs. Daley, Private JOHN JONES, was killed at the battle of Mons, leaving a widow and children. He had been in the army 21 years, and had served in India. Her daughter's husband, Private JAMES SHAW, of the Cheshire Regiment, died from exhaustion while his battalion was at Birkenhead 12 months ago, He leaves a widow and five children. A nephew of Mrs. Daley has also died in Alexandria.   

Published in the Reporter 7th August 1915.


An official intimation has been received that Private PETER TAYLOR, 1/9th Battalion, Manchester Regiment (Territorials), has been wounded in action in the Dardanelles. The nature of the injury is not stated, but so far as can be ascertained he is progressing satisfactorily. In a letter recently received from him by his mother, who resides at 17, Wood Street, Newton Wood, Dukinfield, he expresses his feelings of gratitude to the Mayoress of Ashton, Mrs. C.R. Wainwright, for her kindness in sending creature comforts to the members of the battalion, and stating that there had been a plentiful supply of the good things required. Referring to the campaign, he states : - "I was thinking how I should have liked to have been at home during Whit-week, but we were under heavy shell fire all day on Whit-Friday, and I was thinking how you were going on. My Whit-Sunday clothes consisted of a new suit of khaki, of which I was badly in need as we had just come out of the trenches, which were flooded, and we had been almost up to the waist in water. We had about eight killed and 50 wounded. It is to be hoped that the war will soon be over, or there will not be many of us left. I am all right up to the present, and I hope I shall continue to be so." 

 Published in the Reporter 7th August 1915.


On the eve of the anniversary of the general mobilisation in August last, and after an absence of almost a year on military service, Captain G.H. OKELL, 1/9th Battalion, Manchester Regiment (Territorials), returned to his home, at Mossley Road, Ashton, on Saturday night invalided on two months leave of absence. Whilst he was on active service in the Orient a son was born, the father's hope and the mothers joy. The little fellow sickened and died when but seven weeks old, so that the father, owing to the exiguities of warfare, was denied the rare pleasure of gazing on the face of his son. His grief was further intensified by the loss by death in action of several of his fellow officers, including some of his nearest and dearest friends, during the operations at the Dardanelles. Of the officers who originally left with C Company for the front not one is now taking part in the operations at the Dardanelles. They have been either killed, invalided, or transferred elsewhere. Captain HAMER and Lieutenant STRINGER, both of whom were killed, and Lieutenant WADE, who is reported missing, were attached to C Company, of which Captain OKELL was the second in command. When Captain HAMER was killed in the memorable charge against a strong Turkish position on June 7th, Captain OKELL took over the command. A few days after the charge Captain OKELL collapsed under the continuous strain, and shock to the nervous system, and he was sent to hospital and thence home. The remaining officer, Lieut. LILLEY, was transferred to the brigade staff. When the battalion left Ashton there were eight company commanders, but when they arrived in Egypt double companies were formed, so that Capt. HAMER and Capt. OKELL took the senior and junior command respectively of C Company. In addition to the officers the company suffered the loss of about 50 non-commissioned officers and men. "It is a big job, and I'm afraid that every man who is able to go out will be wanted", mused Captain OKELL, with a faraway look, which reflected the inner emotions and solicitude for the welfare of his comrades who are with conspicuous bravery bearing the heat of the fray at the Dardanelles. "No one thought the Dardanelles would be such a difficult nut to crack," he continued, "but having put our hand to the plough we were determined to go forward. At the present rate of losses in killed, wounded, and sick a great many men will be needed to force the Straits".  

Captain OKELL could not speak too highly of the conduct of the men in his company and in the battalion generally - "They were trumps, and the way in which they comported themselves under fire and in the attacks was a credit to the town and district which they represented. From the moment they landed at the Gallipoli Peninsula they were never free from the enemy's fire, and many casualties occurred from stray bullets and shell fire. The life underground in dugouts, and the possibility of being entombed through the destructive effects of a 'Jack Johnson' were extremely trying to the nerves". Referring to the operations on June 7th, by which so many men lost their lives, he said that about 100 yards in front of the trenches occupied by C Company were two Turkish trenches, which had become a nuisance owing to their close proximity, resulting in numerous casualties. C Company were ordered to clear the enemy out of the trenches. About 100 men from C Company were detailed for the work, in connection with a company of Royal Marine Light Infantry. Captain OKELL and Lieut. E. STRINGER led the charge against one trench, and Captain F. HAMER and Lieut. JACK WADE against the other trench. With a mighty cheer the Ashton lads charged with the bayonet. In the face of a terrific rifle and maxim fire the Ashton lads kept on, and succeeded in taking the trench. The charge of the Light Infantry was repulsed, and they had to fall back. Captain HAMER fell before reaching the trench. Lieut. STRINGER succeeded in reaching the trench, but was subsequently killed by the enfilading fire from a machine gun. After such a devastating fire few of the Ashton lads remained to tell the tale, but those who were left succeeded in occupying the captured trench for six hours, when they retired. A day or two afterwards B Company was short of officers to take part in a night attack. Lieut. WADE volunteered to take part in the attack, and he did so, and never returned. It was stated that some prisoners had been taken by the Turks, and that the fate of Lieut. WADE was unknown.

 A Recruiting Advert that was published in the Reporter throughout the Gallipoli Campaign.

Published in the Reporter 7th August 1915.


"My son Pte. CLARENCE ST. PAUL comes off a good fighting family; my father was a soldier for many years, my brother went through the Boer campaign, and the same fighting qualities appear in my boy. He made three attempts to join the navy before he was old enough. He is only 19 years of age, having celebrated his birthday on the day that he landed in Egypt with the Ashton Territorials". So remarked Mrs. St. Paul, of 46, Mount Pleasant Street, Hooley Hill, when seen by a Reporter representative respecting her son, who has been wounded in the Dardanelles. Private ST. PAUL, who was employed at Messrs. Marlow's in Taylor Lane, Denton, had been a member of the 9th Battalion (Ashton Territorials), Manchester Regiment for three years, and had won several prizes in connection with the shooting competitions. He was considered one of the crack shots of A Company of the Territorials. Writing from the Military Hospital, Malta, on July 14th, to his mother, Private ST. PAUL says - "I am lying wounded in the Military Hospital in Valletta, Malta. I was hit on the first day of July in the neck by a Turkish bullet. We have been in the Dardanelles since 4th May, and talk about fighting, I never thought war was like it is, it is cruel. I feel sorry for the poor Turks, as they don't want to fight. It is the Germans over them that force them on or shoot them down. It has been horrible at times, it was worse than hell itself when all the big guns were working. We get those 'Jack Johnsons', and they don't half clear things away. One shell dropped into a dug-out about 15 yards away from where I was, and the shell sent one poor fellow right into the air. Have you heard of DICK BURGESS being killed (officially reported), he got hit with bursting shrapnel. With a bit of luck, and if God spares me, I hope to come back to you all". Mrs. St. Paul has answered many enquiries respecting her son during the week, and has been the recipient of many expressions of sympathy. She lost her husband in July last year, and in a few days after her only son responded to the call of the country, while his companion who had lived in the same home, who had become almost like a son, also joined the colours. In spite of her troubles she is bearing up remarkably well. On Wednesday morning Mrs. St. Paul had a letter from her son from the Western General Hospital, Manchester. It read: "You will have a big surprise when you get this letter and notice where it has come from. We were sent direct from Malta to Manchester because I was considered unfit for active service for three months. We had a rough passage home, especially coming through the Bay of Biscay. I thought we should never have landed, and I was glad when the boat touched at Southampton". In the afternoon, accompanied by her daughter, Florrie, Mrs. St. Paul visited her son at Manchester. She found that he was being well cared for, but the bullet had not yet been taken out of his neck. The doctors had made two attempts, but owing to the dangerous position near the main artery they were not able to remove it. Private ST. PAUL had been suffering since his wounds from severe toothache, which will also mean the removal of his teeth. It is expected that during the weekend another attempt will be made to dislodge the shrapnel bullet.  

Published in the Reporter 7th August 1915.


It has been the tragic lot of Mr. and Mrs. Lomas, of Beauchamp Street, Ashton, to receive a cheery letter from their son, Sergeant T. LOMAS, and the next morning to receive a letter from his fellow sergeants telling of his death in action, and also conveying the sympathy of officers and men with them in their loss. The blow was a hard one, and they are nearly heartbroken. Their only consolation is that their lad, like so many other Ashton lads, has given his life in defence of his country and for his fellow citizen - a glorious death. Sergeant LOMAS' last letter is dated July 21st, and in it he acknowledges a letter from his parents and sister which he received on July 18th, as he came out of the trenches, and then he says - "I have not had any word from Jack Spell yet. You must remind him that I am still alive. My birthday (that day) was not so bright as I could have wished it to be, but one or two of my pals wished me many happy returns, and I made the best of it. I am living in hopes of spending a brighter birthday next year". Sergeant LOMAS adds, "You might tell Aunt Ada that JAMES TAYLOR, one of our sergeants (he worked at Kershaw's mill) has been shot through the head". Company Sergeant Major ALBERT GREEN, of D Company, wrote to Mr. Lomas: - "It is with the deepest regret I write to inform you of the death this morning of your son, No.31, Sergeant TOM LOMAS. He was killed instantly about 9.30a.m. You may rest assured that he suffered no pain. He was in charge of a sapping party when the enemy commenced to shell them at close range, and very unfortunately your son was on the top directing the work, when a shell burst near him, killing him on the spot. I know you will bear up under this your sad bereavement, bearing your great sorrow as cheerfully and patiently as only a good father can do for the loss of a good son. He was always a cheerful comrade and friend, and many times after a long march he has cheered us up with a song not caring how tired he was so long as he could cheer his comrades up, and it is his brother sergeants wish that I write to express their deep regret at the loss of a true comrade. - Yours sincerely, ALBERT GREEN. C.S.M, D Company. Captain F. WOODHOUSE of D Company also sent a note, in which he wrote - "The officers of D Company also wish to express their deep regret at your sad bereavement. He has always proved himself a good soldier, and it will be a comfort to you to know that he died a soldiers death, doing his duty". Sergeant LOMAS was killed two days after his 26th birthday. He had been in the Territorials for about seven years, and was keen and enthusiastic over the life. He was educated at St. James' Day School, and attended St. James' Church. A bricklayer by trade, he served his apprenticeship with Messrs. Marshall and Sons, Ashton. 

Published in the Reporter 7th August 1915.


Private CHAS. WARBURTON, 1/9th Battalion Manchester Regiment (Territorials) has written to his wife, who resides at 149, Cotton Street, Ashton, informing her that he is in hospital at Malta as the result of wounds received in action at the Dardanelles. Whilst he was fighting in the trenches the wife became a mother. He formerly worked at the New Moss Colliery, and when the war broke out he joined the Territorials. In a letter recently received he states that he sent the bullet from his leg to his wife to be preserved by her as a memento.

bottom of page