top of page




On the 11th May the East Lancashire Division, which included the 9th Battalion, Ashton Territorials, was ordered to take over the whole of the British front line. The 9th Battalion found themselves in the reserve position, behind the Manchester Brigade and the Lancashire Fusilier Brigade.

On the 21st May, the Ashton Territorials, 9th Battalion, went into the Redoubt Line.

The designation of the Division was changed on 25th May, and as the 42nd (East Lancashire) Division it took precedence over the other Territorial divisions. The Ashton Territorials now found themselves heading the front line position.   


Ashton Territorials Landing at the Dardanelles.

An interesting account of the Ashton Territorials first baptism of fire is contained in a letter dated June 1st, received by Mr. James Hibbert, Solicitor, Ashton, from Company Sergeant-Major H. STRINGER, who was formerly on the clerical staff of J.B. Pownall, Solicitor, Old Street, Ashton. The letter reads as follows - "Since writing my last letter we have travelled somewhat. From Heliopolis we went to the Suez, where we almost got into contact with the Turks, but not quite. We were there only 16 days, and were enjoying active service very well. On the 2nd May we left Port Said, and sailed on the 4th. We arrived here on the evening of the 8th and saw an attack on the Turkish lines by the Army and the Navy combined. It was a glorious sight, and one never to be forgotten. I was however a spectator, and not an actor. Perhaps some day I shall see the same scene at Belle Vue, it would be just suitable for there. On the Sunday morning we disembarked, and were under shell fire before we had been on land ten minutes. It was a peculiar scenario, which we are now free from, as we have got quite used to the shells bursting. Since then we have been in reserve in the firing line, and in rest camps, and have just about got used to the war. The country is very pretty, and no doubt in peace times we are in what will be a very healthy spot. At present, the air is too full of solids. The minerals don't need digging for. Copper and lead can be found in great quantities. We have not been in any hard fighting, but owing to our being near the firing line, and in it, we have had a number of casualties. All the Parish Church boys have so far escaped. I received the papers regularly, and they are very welcome indeed. Last week I met Messrs. Taylor and Buckley's clerk here with A.S.C and had a chat with him. He told me quite a lot of news". (This article was published in the Reporter on 26th June).

From this point onwards the Ashton Territorials had entered into a theatre of war, and their letters home became sporadic. Therefore, I have listed their correspondence by the date in which it appeared in the Reporter newspaper.

Click BACK in your browser to return to this page.

Published in the Reporter 5th June 1915.



Second Lieut. FRED JONES, who resided with his mother at 5, Moorside Avenue, Droylsden, is the first of the Ashton Territorials to fall in action. A telegram was received by Mrs. Jones from the Records Office at Preston stating that her son was killed in action on May 24th, at a place not stated. The telegram expressed regret at the loss of the officer, and conveyed the sympathy of the King and Queen, and of Lord Kitchener. Lieutenant JONES joined the Ashton Territorials 18 months ago as a private, and was soon afterwards made a sergeant. He was very popular, and was most efficient and capable in his duties. When the battalion was mobilised last August he was appointed for clerical duties, and had a very responsible position. On leaving Bury with the battalion in September for Egypt he was given a commission. Whilst in Egypt he had sent home very cheerful letters, and more than once expressed the desire to get into action. In his last letter, sent April 27th, he wrote:

"We have moved from Heliopolis, and are likely to see fighting any day. I am of especially good cheer. My men are splendid fellows. I am hoping to do worthy things in the near future." In another letter he said he hoped to do something that would merit the V.C. Lieut. JONES, up to the outbreak of war, was an assistant master at the West End Council School, and previously had been an assistant master at Birley Street, Manchester. He held a London matriculation and a Manchester matriculation, and was shortly to have proceeded to his final examination. He would have attained his 21st birthday this month. He was a young man of great enthusiasm, and of many aided activities. He was a Sunday school teacher at St. Andrew's, Droylsden, and was very successful in promoting concerts and entertainments, and frequently took part in amateur theatricals, and had taken the principal part in "The Bells." The greatest sympathy has been expressed with Mrs. Jones in the loss of her son, who was her chief support. Formerly the family lived in Openshaw. Lieut. JONES has a sister, whose husband, Mr. T. Cook, of Wheeler Street, Higher Openshaw, has recently joined the 6th Pals Battalion, and is now at Grantham. A cousin, Private EDWARD JONES, of Oldham Road, Waterloo, is also serving with the Ashton Territorials. The photograph shown was taken recently in Egypt. (Fred Jones is buried in the Redoubt Cemetery, Helles).

Published in the Reporter 5th June 1915.



News has been officially received in Ashton during the week of several casualties among the Ashton Territorials who have been for the first time in action. A telegram has been received by Mrs. Wade from the Records Office at Preston, stating that Lieut-Colonel D.H. WADE, the commanding officer of the battalion, had been wounded in action on May 24th. Colonel WADE succeeded to the command of the battalion in July 1913, following Lieut-Colonel C.R. WAINWRIGHT, the present Mayor of Ashton, and he proceeded to Egypt with the battalion last September. He is the secretary of the Ashton Education Committee, and the son-in-law of Mr. John Neal, the Ashton borough treasurer. Further information has been received by Mr. Neal stating that Colonel WADE was very comfortable. He had a bullet wound in the thigh, and had been taken to the hospital at Alexandria. Permanent injury is not anticipated.

The Headlines published in the Reporter on June 12th 1915 ASHTON TERRITORIALS IN THE DARDANELLES, but sadly the newspaper did not make good reading, for it brought sad news and the horror of war. The following articles were published...

Reporter: - News has come to hand during the week that the 1/9th Battalion Manchester Regiment, Ashton Territorials, have been in the fighting in the Dardanelles. This fact is mentioned in several letters, which we have received. The battalion appears to have landed about May 9th, and were very soon afterwards engaged with the Turks. There have been a number of casualties, but whether they have been many or few has not been officially published.  

 Published in the Reporter 12th June 1915.


Corporal 121 JOHN TASKER, of "A" Company, Ashton Territorials, writes to his wife, Mrs. Tasker, of 89, Queen Street, Hurst, on May 14th: - "Since BEN RENSHAW left us at Heliopolis we have had it rough. We left Heliopolis, and went to Kantara for a fortnight; then we went to XXXX, and we landed last Sunday, May 9th. It is very dangerous here. In fact, whilst I am writing this letter in my dugout shells and shrapnel and the snipers are firing bullets all around. So you see some of us are safe. You remember George Rennison, the sailor, whose wife lives at the grocer's shop in Hillgate Street, near the Colliers Arms? Tell her I was talking to him in the trenches a few days ago. I have also seen a son of Billy Chapman, who keeps a greengrocer's shop in Hillgate Street. He came out here from India. SGT. 845 ALBERT ROYAL is on his way home". 

Published in the Reporter 12th June 1915.


Ashton Territorial Wounded.

In a letter dated 20th May from Pte. ALLEN THOMAS to his mother at 143, Taunton Rd. Waterloo, he wrote...

" We have not been in action yet, but I have had the misfortune to be slightly wounded in my left hand. I got shot by a sniper, or else a stray shot, but not with shrapnel. They talk about German barbarism, but the people whom we are fighting against are worse than the Germans if anything. In one case, I saw a Frenchman who had been tied to a tree and nails put through both his eyes, and there he had been left to die. We are expecting coming home shortly for a furlough, and then you will hear some tales". In another letter to his sister, Pte. THOMAS states that he is on a hospital ship and is being well cared for.

Published in the Reporter 12th June 1915.



News has been received through a comrade that Private 1690 ANDREW GEE, aged 24, of the Ashton Territorials, has been killed in action. He was the son of Mr. J. Gee, of 54, Canning Street, Ashton, and was formerly employed as a carter for Mr. Richard Wood, of Wellington Road. The news was sent by private 1894 JOSEPH McDERMOTT, of "B" Company of the Territorials. Writing to his uncle, Mr. Charles McDermott, of 48, Duncan Street, under date May 16th, he says: -  

" I am very sorry to inform you that Pte. ANDREW GEE got killed at his post on May 12th. He lived four minutes after he was hit. I felt heartily sorry for him. I gave them a lift to get him out of the trench, but I could not go any more of the way with them to the grave, I was too full up, he was one of my best pals. We have had about six hit with shells and bullets. While I am writing this there are bullets and shrapnel bursting around. The other day, while I was washing, three bullets came by my face within a foot. We are in the reserve trenches waiting our turn to relieve some other men. We do about five days in and three days out. We have our work cut out. As soon as this job is over there is a chance of coming home for a rest. And if this war is not over we shall go to France for the remainder of the time till this lot is over. We are getting bully beef, biscuits, tabs, and rum, so we are doing well under the conditions". Private JOSEPH McDERMOTT, writing to Mr. W. Fish, grocer, of Wellington Road, says: - "ANDREW GEE was killed at his post. He is the first to get killed with us, but there are about six who got wounded. I am waiting my turn to go into the firing line. The lads all seem to want to have a go in the firing line. We are safer in the firing line than we are at the base. We get plenty to eat, plenty of bully beef, etc. I was a bit downhearted when I saw GEE go down. I helped him out of the trench, and then they took him away. He was about 12 yards away. I did not know until I came out of the firing line that he had been shot." In a previous letter Private McDERMOTT writes:-" I would like to chance my arm, after I heard what they have done to our JIMMY (his brother). They say life is sweet, but, never mind, let me have a packet at the dirty dogs. I don't care if I go down if it is one for one. I don't care if I snapshot one. Then it will be level betting." The esteem and respect in which Private GEE was held by his comrades is shown by the neatly inscribed memorial card which has been sent by them to friends in Ashton, containing the words: "R.I.P. In Memory of 1690 Private ANDREW GEE, "B" Company, 9th Manchesters, killed at his post, Dardanelles, May 12th 1915." (Andrew Gee is recorded on the Helles Memorial to the missing).

The death of Pte. GEE was also mentioned in a letter dated 12th May from Pte. RICHARD MASSEY to his wife who resides at Charles St. Ashton, he says, " We are at the Dardanelles and we are in the thick of the fighting. As I write this letter shells are falling around us, and it is, to use a common expression, hell let loose. The Ashton lads are sticking it fine. There is probably more fighting going on here at present than there is in France. The Turks and Germans are undoubtedly the biggest cowards on earth. They have been out sniping, and they have been shooting down the Red Cross men as they were carrying in the wounded. It is terrible. You find yourself tumbling over dead men when you are going up to the firing line. We have only been here one week, but during that time we have had one killed and 12 injured. The one killed is ANDREW GEE. He was shot in the mouth and died a few minutes later. He was on guard at the time. As I write this letter they are carrying away TOMMY HOLDEN to the hospital badly wounded. Thank God I am in the best of health. Say a prayer for me every night, and let the children say one. We buried ANDREW GEE as well as we could. We made a nice little cross and placed it on his grave".

Published in the Reporter on 12th June.


After experiencing the dangers of the mine and narrowly escaping with his life in an accident in which he was knocked down and injured by a runaway tub, Pte. THOMAS HOLDEN, of the 9th (Ashton) Battalion, Manchester Regiment has risked his life on the battlefield for the honour of his country.

In the Capacity of the soldier he has displayed the same courage and endurance, which have characterised him as a miner. One of the many miners from the New Moss Colliery who are serving with the Kings Colours he volunteered for foreign service with the Ashton Territorials, and left his wife and baby girl, just one week old, and went out to Egypt, and subsequently took part in the operations in the Dardanelles, where he was wounded in the leg by a splinter from a shell on May 14th. He is a son of Mr. Thomas Holden of 47, Jermyn St. Ashton. In a letter to his wife who resides at Hurst, received on Sunday, Pte HOLDEN writes "Just a line to let you know that I am going on alright, but I cannot not walk. I am back in Egypt, in a Greek hospital in Alexandria, and I am writing this letter in bed. I was in a hospital ship for 13 days, and I was very glad to leave it because of the heat. I have been shot through the left leg, and the wound is rather a large one. It was a shell that hit me. I am lucky to be alive. I gave myself up, but never mind, I hope soon to be alright again, and to return home. We went to the Dardanelles to fight the Turks and I have had a packet of them. I do not know how the boys are going on, I was wounded around one o'clock on May 14th".

Pte. HOLDEN had achieved some distinction as a swimmer, and he has won many prizes for both long and short distances. He is a member of the Ashton Swimming Club, and of the Life Saving Class. His younger brother, Albert Holden is also a noted swimmer, and for two years held the Pownell Challenge Cup for schoolboys in the Parliamentary Borough.

Published in the Reporter Saturday June 12th 1915.


Pte. 2175 FRANK LIONEL FAVIER, who was attached to "B" Coy 1st/9th, Ashton Territorials, Manchester Regiment, the son of Dominic and Theresa Favier of 221, Katherine St. Ashton, has been killed whilst fighting in the Dardanelles. ( Pte. 2175 F.L.FAVIER died on the 31.5.15 aged 21 years. He is recorded on the Helles Memorial to the missing).

Published in the Reporter 12th June 1915.


Two Ashton Brothers in the 9th Manchesters.

News was received on Thursday by Mr. and Mrs. James Daley, of 48, Park Street, Ashton, that their son, Private 1405 JOHN DALEY, aged 17, of the Ashton Territorials, had "died of disease." It was not stated where the death had occurred. Private DALEY had been a member of the Ashton Territorial Battalion about three years, and went with them to Egypt. He was a piecer at the Minerva Mill. A brother, Private 1339 JAMES WILLIAM DALEY, aged 20, is also in the Territorials. He has been a Territorials for four years and prior to the war he was a cotton piecer at Newton Moor. A letter was received by the parents of the lads on the 15th of May, stating that both were well. (John Daley died on the1st June onboard a hospital ship. His brother, JAMES DALEY, was killed in action on the 7th June during a bayonet charge. Both are recorded on the Helles Memorial to the missing.).

Published in the Reporter 12th June 1915.


Of three brothers fighting side by side with the Ashton Territorials in the Dardanelles one has been wounded, and the other two, so far as can at present be ascertained, have escaped unscathed. Their names are Privates 1521 JAMES, SAMUEL and ALFRED ATHERTON, sons of Mr. James Atherton, an employee at the Ashton Gas works, residing at 3, Duncan Street, Ashton. All three are bachelors, and they have served for several years in the 9th (Ashton) Battalion, Manchester Regiment, Territorials. The elder of the three, Private JAMES ATHERTON, has sent a postcard to his parents, informing them that he is in hospital wounded, and is going on well. He formerly worked at the Dukinfield Wagon Works. As a member of the Ashton Swimming Club, he had distinguished himself by winning several prizes for long and short distance swimming. He has performed several remarkable feats of long distance swimming under water.

Published in the Herald 12th June 1915.



The authorities at the Armoury are without information as to the casualties in the operations in the Dardanelles, but on Thursday morning a Dublin newspaper was received in Ashton stating that a number of the Ashton Territorials are under treatment at the Dublin Castle Red Cross Hospital. The names of the men in hospital are-

Pte. H. COOK.

Pte. George DRINKER.

Cpl. 1543 Thomas GOLEY.

Pte. 1784 Fred HEWITT.


Pte. 1732 Wm HAEGREAVES.


Pte. 1122 L. MARSH.


Pte. 1943 Philip PEPPER.


Pte. 1766 Arthur REILLY.

Sgt. 845 Albert ROYLE.

Cpl. 124 Samuel STEELE.

The men were admitted to the hospital on Friday week, and inquiries elicit the information that with one exception the men were invalided home suffering from various illnesses. Private LEAVESLEY, of Audenshaw, returned home unexpectedly on Saturday, and a day later he was followed by Private LEWIS MARSH, of Mansfield Street, Ryecroft, who had met with an accident to his hand at Abbassia. Both men are on furlough. MARSH met with his accident on February 24th, and for several weeks was an inmate of the Citadel Hospital, Cairo. He has now almost recovered, and will report himself for duty today (Saturday) at the Armoury. 


Private E. BARLOW, of 4, Woodall’s Yard, Stalybridge, returned home on Wednesday from Dublin, where he had been a patient in the Richmond Hospital. Interviewed by a representative of the Herald, Private BARLOW said the list of alleged wounded Territorials as published by the Dublin paper was far from correct. None of the men named had seen any fighting. One had been accidentally shot in the hand, and with that exception they were all invalided from Egypt. Private BARLOW accompanied them from Egypt to Ireland, he too being invalided.

He said they left Alexandria on May 12th. They were previously at Abbassia, but left there for Alexandria. When they were sailing off the south coast of Ireland they were chased by a German submarine. The captain of the ship altered the course, and so instead of arriving at Scotland they put in at Holyhead. They spent several days in the Welsh town, and were then conveyed, on May 28th to Dublin, where they were admitted to the various hospitals. He was in the Richmond Hospital and some were in Dublin Castle. Before these invalided soldiers left Abbassia, the Battalion had departed for Port Suez en-route for the Dardanelles. Private BARLOW is now home on seven days leave, and he has to report himself at the Ashton Depot next Tuesday. Private ELLIS, of Droylsden, is another Territorial who was invalided home at the same time.

 Published in the Herald 12th June 1915.


In the course of a letter to his wife, Private LEE, of the Ashton Territorials states that Private 1273 HAROLD HIGGINBOTTOM has been shot through both arms whilst serving with the battalion in the operations at the Dardanelles.

 Private HIGGINBOTTOM is the son of Mrs. Beeley, of Peel Street, Ashton, formerly of Nelson Street, Dukinfield. Private LEE further intimates that HIGGINBOTTOM'S wounds are not serious, and that he is on the highway to recovery.

The Headlines of the Reporter Published 19th June 1915.

"Ashton will be proud of them, the Battalion has done grand work," writes Major CONNERY to the Editor of the Reporter, of the Ashton Territorials, who have been fighting the Turks in the Dardanelles. "I feel proud to belong to such a battalion as the 9th Manchesters, everyone is a hero," writes Sergeant T. CROPPER. Such are the messages, which are coming through from our gallant local lads who are brilliantly upholding the credit of the Army and bringing glory to their native town. We have to regret some losses, and the greatest sympathy will be extended to the families who now mourn the loss of husband, father, son or brother. But the losses in the Ashton battalion have been much fewer than in some of the other Manchester battalions. The explanation of this appears in some of the letters that are published, which state that the Ashton Battalion had not been in the first line. Ashton is greatly proud of their gallant Territorials, who have shown that they are made of the right British stuff, and have made for themselves a name of undying fame and imperishable glory.

Published in the Reporter 19th June 1915.


Brilliant Work of the Territorials.


The thrilling description of the grand work of the Ashton Territorials is sent by Sergeant T. CROPPER, licensee of the King William IV, Ashton, in a letter received this week by his wife. He is a son of Mr. G.H. Cropper, of Henrietta Street, Smallshaw, formerly licensee of the Spread Eagle, Stamford Street, Ashton, and has been a member of the Ashton Territorials for some time. His letter adds: - "I suppose you are wondering where we are. We are not allowed to tell you, but I can tell you that we are in the thick of it. You never know what minute you may be bowled over. Bullets are flying around you and shrapnel bursting all around you. Our casualties are very slight, considering what we have gone through. We were in the front firing line for five days, and I must say that the 9th Manchesters are a credit to the town of Ashton. Both officers and men did splendidly. We advanced about 150 yards under the enemy's fire. You see it wasn't only advancing, the men had to carry sandbags with them for cover whilst they dug a trench big enough. They worked like heroes, every one of them. The rain was coming down in torrents, and the trenches were full with water. They were for about 30 hours drenched to the skin. You see they had to leave the trenches and make a dash for it to where they had advanced, about 150 yards. It was a very daring feat. I feel proud that I belong to such a battalion as the 9th Manchesters. Tell our WALLACE (his brother) that his son, JOE, behaved like a man, and that he was one of the men to make a dash for the trench, and held it until they were relieved by our men, who had to cut their way to them. They lost two men and two wounded whilst they were in. I only wish his grandfather could have seen him; he would have felt proud of him. I know I am, for he has proved himself game. Don't forget to show this to his father, for he has a son he ought to be proud of. Of course, he did no more than any of the other fellows, they worked like devils, and are a credit to the town they belong to."

Published in the Reporter 19th June 1915.


Taking a Sporting Chance in the Dardanelles.


"Many have gone under in serving our King and country, and it's all in the game; any one of us may be shot here any moment," runs the sportsmanlike phrases of an officer of the Ashton Territorials serving at the Dardanelles, in a letter to his father, who occupies a prominent position in Ashton. In his letter he makes reference to the remarkable tactics adopted by the German snipers in order to effectively carry out their nefarious practices. "The snipers," he writes, "are devils. They are hidden where they cannot be found, and they are provided with lots of ammunition and provisions. They just have a shot at us when they like, when they know that there is no chance of them being found. One was captured the other day with his hands, face, and rifle painted green, and wearing green clothes decorated with twigs and leaves, so as to avoid detection. Yesterday afternoon another was caught just over to the right dressed in an English R.A.M.C. uniform. He got finished off quickly. I am about to retire for the night, but there is not much sleep with the guns firing. I wish I could retire to my little cot at XXXX. The ground is hard, no flocks, and we make our beds with spades and picks. We are sleeping near a stream, where the frogs are numerous. They croak nearly all day and night, and become a perfect pest. I hope when this murderous business is over the Germans with their Emperor will get their desserts. They ought to be hounded from the earth. We expect to be in the front firing line in a day or two. I was not far from it whilst engaged in the operations yesterday. The weather is hot here just now, and we have also to contend with the shells and stray bullets from the firing line of the enemy and the snipers."

Published in the Reporter 19th June 1915.


How the Territorials Landed.

A thrilling description of how the Ashton Battalion of the Territorials went into action in the Dardanelles against the Turks is given in a letter, which has been received by Mr. Jones from her son, Second Lieut. JONES, who was the first of the Ashton Territorials to fall. The letter was received after the official notification of the death of Lieut. JONES. Lieut. JONES resided with his mother at 5, Moorside Terrace, Droylsden, and was a teacher at the West End Council School. The letter was written from the Dardanelles, and bore the date of May 13th, and stated that his Company had been there since Sunday, May 9th. It continues as follows: - "The Saturday before we landed we saw a terrific bombardment by the Australian, British, and the French. This place is 'hell let loose.' Shells are bursting all over the place, but we are fairly giving them beans. It is an awful experience being under fire, and seeing the men continually brought in on stretchers. Now and then we find several Turks, half buried, dead, of course, but they look awfully ghastly, and smell beastly. The other day we were expecting shell fire, and I had to dig a dug-out for protection from the shells. I had only gone down about three feet when I saw a piece of cloth, which I tried to pull out of the way but I found it was part of a dead Turk who had been buried there. However, there was no time to waste, so my sergeant and I slept on the Turk that night. I felt awfully afraid that first night or two, when the shells were screaming all over, and the bullets were 'ping ponging' all around. But I am quite used to them now. Expect me home safe and sound as soon as we have finished off the Turks. Within the last few hours two Turks shells here have burst within 20 yards of me, but I am bullet-proof, you see if I am not! FRED." Mrs. Jones has received a telegram from the King, the terms of which are as follows:- KINGS SYMPATHY. "The King and Queen deeply regret the loss you and the army have sustained by the death of your son in the service of the country. Their Majesties truly sympathise with you in your sorrow." (Fred Jones was killed on the 24.5.1915 and is buried in the Redoubt Cemetery, Helles).

Published in the Reporter 19th June 1915.

A striking example of personal heroism and camaraderie is afforded in a graphic description of the way in which Private GEORGE LOWE, of the 9th (Ashton) Battalion Manchester Regiment, Territorials, was wounded whilst taking part in the operations at the Dardanelles. Private LOWE is the eldest son of Mr. George Lowe, of Newmarket Rd, Waterloo, and grandson of Mr. George Lowe, retired grocer and provisions dealer, Oldham Rd, Ashton. He worked in the goods office, L and Y Railway Station, Ashton, and joined the Territorials in February of last year. During the fighting at the Dardanelles he was shot in both legs, and he is now in St. Andrew's Hospital, Malta, where he is making satisfactory progress. Private LOWE is one of eleven scholars from the Littlemoss Sunday School who have joined the Territorials or other forces, and the Young Men's Class in connection therewith has been demanded of its best and noblest adherents. There is an empty class, so to speak, which has been reinforced by the young reserves. In a letter dated June 5th to his parents, Private LOWE writes: - "I did not think when I sent the postcard off on May 25th the Turks would catch me napping two days afterwards. When I wrote the postcard we were in the trenches, but we went out the same night after we had been in five days. We had very few casualties during that period, although we had advanced about a hundred yards and dug ourselves in. Well, all went well leaving the trenches, and the next day (Wednesday) we got orders to reinforce the troops on our left. However, we did not move off until Thursday at about 7.30, and we had gone about a mile when the Turks suddenly started shelling us. I along with the chap in front of me got bowled over. He was hit in the stomach, and I in both legs. I was lying helpless on the ground with full pack on, when up came Lance Corporal J. LOWNDS and Lance Corporal LEES, and between them they bandaged me up. During all this time the Turks were shelling us cruelly, so LOWNDS got me on his back and carried me about 200 yards into a small gully, where it was pretty safe. If it had not have been for LOWNDS I do not think I should have been writing this. I am sorry to say that while he was carrying me he sprained his back, and had to go into hospital along with me. I have not seen him since he was on the boat, but then he was much better. I don't know what hospital he is in at Malta. While in the gully I found I had been hit in the right thigh and left shin. It was shrapnel that hit me, and it had gone clean through the thigh, but the other had stopped in the skin, and it is in yet. It is a piece of lead like a marble (judging from the hole in the leg) that is causing all the trouble, and it is very painful when touched. There was a clergyman in the field hospital at the Dardanelles, and he said he would write and let you I reached my hold-all out, and put it down near me. It had not been out above two minutes before a bullet went clean through it, and left two holes in it. I got this bullet out, and I am keeping it as a memento. The biggest danger here is sniping. There are hundreds of snipers and they cause a lot of damage to our troops. When our side catch a sniper you can bet he gets no mercy. Will you please tell all friends that I am in the pink."


Owing to the excitement and the great effort required in order to remove his wounded comrade out of the zone of withering fire as speedily as possible to a place of safety, Lance Corporal 1381 LOWNDS sustained an injury to his back, and he has since been under treatment at the Imtarfa Military Hospital, Malta. His plucky act is deserving of every commendation. He is a son of Mr. Samuel Lownds, licensee of the Royal Oak Inn, Delamere Street, Ashton, and is 19 years of age. For the past five years he has been a member of the Ashton Battalion Territorials, and when the war broke out he willingly offered himself for foreign service. He has two brothers serving in the Army and also a brother-in-law, Private THOMAS NICHOLLS, who is serving with the 1st Manchesters in France. In a letter to his parents Lance Corporal LOWNDS writes: - "No sooner had we landed from the boats at the Dardanelles than shells began to fall around us. It was lively, I can tell you. I suppose you will have heard about Private ANDREW GEE being killed. He was the first killed in our battalion. I was talking to him a short time before he was shot. We were in the trenches four days, and were relieved for three days. We were just going back to the trenches when the Turks started shelling us; I was at the rear of the Company when Private GEORGE LOWE fell shot in both legs. I dropped by his side and bandaged him as well as I could. I thought every moment would be my last. The Turks fired five shells at us, whereupon the Company went forward and dropped about five yards away around LOWE and me. I had to lie flat on the ground so that Private LOWE could wriggle on my back. I then rose and carried him a distance of about 200 yards to a place where we were able to get under cover. I could not carry him any further. I fell with him and sprained my back. A shrapnel bullet grazed my hand and broke the skin. I was in the hospital at Lemnos for three days, and then I was conveyed in the hospital ship to Malta. When we landed from the boats at Malta, ladies were in waiting, and they gave us cigarettes, chocolate and lemonade. We are being well looked after here by the nurses. I shall probably be in hospital some time yet, as the pain has made me very weak. Private LOWE is getting on as well as can be expected, and his wounds are healing all right."

bottom of page