top of page

1915 PAGE 5



"You Can Have No Idea What War Really Is Like" - Pte. A.C. Hirst. 

Published in the Reporter 26th June 1915.


Recovering From Wounds.

Corporal 1592 EDWARD ALLOTT, of the Ashton Territorials, has been wounded by shrapnel, and is now in hospital. Writing to his wife, Mrs Allott, of Bradgate Street, Ashton, he says that he is not seriously wounded, and is doing fairly well, but will be three of four weeks in hospital before he is all right again.

Corporal ALLOTT, who joined the Ashton Territorial six months prior to the war, was 37 years of age. He had served 12 years in the Lancashire Fusiliers, and was stationed at Malta for a time, and went all through the Boer African War.

Published in the Reporter 26th June 1915.


Pte. M. Bailey Fatally Wounded.

Another Ashton Territorial who has given his life in the defence of his country, and in company with men from his own town is Private 2085 MATTHEW BAILEY. His wife, who resides at 5, Robinson Street, off Turner Lane, Ashton, received, on Saturday last, an official communication from the Territorial Records Office, Preston, which stated that her husband, Pte. M. BAILEY, of the 9th Battalion, Manchester Regiment (Territorials), had died of wounds received on June 13th.

"I can hardly realise it yet", said Mrs Bailey, to a Reporter representative. "To think he will never come back is hard enough, but not to know where he is buried, or where he died, makes it all the worse. In a letter which I received from him a fortnight ago he had been slightly wounded, but in the next letter he wrote that he was in the trenches again". Pte. MATTHEW BAILEY, who was 32 years of age, was very well known in Ashton. For a number of years he had worked at the New Moss Colliery, Audenshaw, as a collier. He had been in the Army prior to joining the Territorials, and went through the Boer War. He was very popular in his Company, and with the officers, and his cheery presence will be greatly missed. (MATTHEW BAILEY is buried in the Alexandria (Chatby) Military and War Memorial Cemetery).

Published in the Reporter 26th June 1915.


Wounded Ashton Territorials Appreciation of Malta Nurses.

Private THOMAS FINNERTY, of the 9th Manchesters, has been hit in the knee by a bullet. Writing to his parents, Mr and Mrs Mark Finnerty, of 147, Wellington Street, Ashton, on June 6th, he says -

" I am sorry to say that I had the misfortune to get hit by a bullet in the knee, but I am doing very well indeed, so you must not trouble or worry about me. I shall be in good hands and well looked after. I want you to let Mrs BARRETT and Mrs TURNER know that HERBERT and JOHN have also been wounded, and tell them not to worry, as they are doing as well as can be expected. HERBERT BARRETT was hit in the right arm near the shoulder, and JOHN TURNER has been hit two or three times in his right hand, wrist and arm near the shoulder. We all got wounded on the same night, it was June 7th. I am posting this at Malta". 

Writing this on June 17th he says - "My knee is almost better now, thanks to the treatment that the doctors and nurses give us. I would like to say a word about how the ladies of Malta have treated us since we landed. As soon as we got on shore, these kind ladies were waiting with cigarettes, chocolates, matches, tobacco, postcards, blackleads, and mineral waters. Not only that, they have their motor cars, in which we drove to the hospital, and as soon as we got there they brought some more cakes and other things, and I tell you it is simply great the way these young ladies are working, and nearly every wounded soldier in Malta calls them "Angels of Mercy", and I should like the people in Lancashire to know about it".

Published in the Reporter 26th June 1915.


Ashton Territorial Gives His Life for His Country.

"He always said he would be a soldier," declared Mrs. Stott, of Wrigley Street, Ashton, in lamenting the death of her son, Private 1652 RICHARD STOTT, of the 9th Battalion Manchester Regiment (Territorials). An official intimation had been received stating that Private RICHARD STOTT had died as the result of wounds received in action at the Dardanelles. Although in his teens, being only 15 years of age, he had a strong desire to join the Territorials, and his father, Mr. John Stott, an Ashton Corporation employee, decided not to place any obstacles in the way. He joined the Ashton Battalion, Territorials and volunteered for foreign service. By doing so he has kept up the traditions of the family, for he has no fewer than six uncles serving with the King's colours, three of them with the Territorials at the Dardanelles, and the others in the Kitchener's Army in France and England. He formerly attended Holy Trinity School. (Richard Stott died on 13.6.1915 and was buried at sea. He is listed on the Helles Memorial to the missing).

Published in the Reporter 26th June 1915.


Stalybridge Man in the Ashton Territorials.

Last week we announced that Mr and Mrs GEORGE BARKER, of 94, Grosvenor Street, Stalybridge, had received information that their son, Private 555 WILLIAM BARKER, of the 1/9th Battalion, Manchester Regiment (Ashton Territorials), had been wounded in the Dardanelles, and was in hospital in Alexandria. Pte. BARKER confirmed this information in a postcard and a letter he sent home, in which he said that he was wounded in the foot, but it was only slight. The letter and postcard were written in Whit-week, and under the circumstances his parents were under the impression that he was making satisfactory progress. Unfortunately, however, they have received official news that he has died of wounds. The letter from the War Office arrived on Tuesday morning, stating that he had died on June 15th (presumptive date) from wounds. The letter was accompanied by a message of sympathy from the King and Queen. Private BARKER was 26 years of age, and had been in the Ashton Territorials for four years. He had been serving since they left England, and had been with them in Egypt, and from there proceeded to the Dardanelles. In civilian life, Private BARKER was employed at the Carrbrook Print Works, and he was connected with St. Peter's Catholic Church and School. He was a Lieutenant in the Boys Brigade, and was much esteemed by all members. Another brother, Pte. ARTHUR BARKER, and a cousin, Pte. FRANK ROBINSON, are serving with H.M. forces, both being in the Reserve Battalion, Cheshire Regiment (Territorials). (WILLIAM BARKER is buried in the Alexandria (Chatby) Military and War Memorial Cemetery).

Published in the Reporter 26th June 1915.


Piecer at Tudor Mill. 

Official news was received by Mrs JOHN JONES, of 103, Minto Street, Ashton, on Saturday last, that her husband, Private 2192 JOHN JONES, who accompanied the Ashton Territorials to Egypt, had been killed in action in the Dardanelles on June 13th.

Private JONES, who only celebrated his 23rd birthday this month, prior to the war worked as a piecer at the Tudor Mill. In his letter he said he was safe, though they were not in Cairo.

Private JONES had served four years in the Territorials prior to the mobilisation, but he again volunteered to defend his country. He was a good footballer, and used to play with the Dukinfield Primitive Methodist football team. His brother, Lance Corporal GORDON JONES is also with the 9th Manchesters and the last report was that he was safe and sound. Much sympathy has been expressed with Pte. JONES' young widow, who like so many more poor souls in Ashton feel her loss keenly. When she received the official intimation, she at first thought it was a new "ring paper", and was greatly distressed when she gathered the true meaning of the communication. (JOHN JONES is buried in the Redoubt Cemetery, Helles).

Published in the Reporter 3rd July 1915.


All the Lads in Ashton Would Join.


Wounded an Hour After Getting Letter From Home.

News has been officially received by Mr. Arnold Ogden, of 84, Hill Street, Ashton, that his son, Private 1872 HARRY OGDEN, 1/9th Battalion Manchester Regiment (Territorials) has died from wounds received on June 6th in action at the Dardanelles. Prior to the mobilisation in August last he worked as a piecer at the Guide Bridge Spinning Co. He was formerly a member of St. Peters Boy's Brigade. A letter dated June 12th, from the Egyptian Hospital, Port Said, which was received from him by his parents, states: -"About an hour after I had read your letter I got wounded in the neck, and I was removed to hospital. I am being well looked after, and I could not expect better treatment. The wound is not a very bad one. Will you tell Jack (his minder at the Guide Bridge Spinning Co.) that I received his letter and tabs, and that I hope to be working for him again before very long." Referring to the recruiting efforts in Ashton he states: - "If they were out here and saw what we have seen, all the lads in Ashton would join." A brother, Private 1711 SIDNEY OGDEN, is also serving with the Territorials at the Dardanelles, and another brother, Private WILLIAM OGDEN, is serving with the 2/9th Battalion Manchester Regiment (Territorials) at Haywards Heath. (Harry Ogden died on the 19th June, aged 18. He is buried in the Port Said War Memorial Cemetery. His younger brother, Sidney Ogden, died of wounds the following day on 20th June, aged 16. He is buried in the Lancashire Landing Cemetery. The elder brother, William Ogden survived the war). 

Published in the Reporter 3rd July 1915.

Private W. POSTLE.

The many friends of Private 1775 WILLIAM POSTLE, of the 1/9th Manchester Regiment will regret to learn that he has died of wounds received in the recent fighting in the Dardanelles. (Died on the 8th June). Although he was only 18 years of age, he was a well built youth, formally working at the Park Bridge Ironworks. In all his letters since going to Egypt he had enjoyed good health. He was educated at St. Peter's Wellbeck St. School. Mr and Mrs Postle have another son in the Army, JAMES POSTLE of the 2/9th Manchester Regiment. WILLIAM POSTLE joined the Ashton Territorials on the 14th February 1914, and volunteered for foreign service with the battalion. (WILLIAM POSTLE is buried in the Lancashire Landing Cemetery).

Published in the Reporter 3rd July 1915.


Wounded in Action at the Dardanelles.

News has been received by Mrs. TRUNKFIELD, of 10, Smallshaw Lane, that her son, Corporal HARRY TRUNKFIELD, of the Ashton Territorials, has been wounded at the Dardanelles on June 9th. He was in "A" Company. He is now in hospital at Alexandria, and his condition is hopeful. A bullet passed right through his thigh. Another brother, Pte. 1720 JOE TRUNKFIELD, is also at the Dardanelles with the Ashton Territorials, but he is believed to be uninjured. Both brothers worked as piecers at the Cedar Mill, Hurst.

 Published in the Reporter 3rd July 1915.



The members of the Audenshaw Y.M.C.A on Tuesday received a most interesting letter from one of their colleagues, Private J. GREENHALGH, of the 9th Manchesters (Ashton Territorials). He was wounded at the Dardanelles, and afterwards conveyed to the hospital in Malta. He wrote on June 19th as follows - " We were sent to the Dardanelles, where we had some hard fighting with the Turks. On June 4th there was a big battle on, and I got wounded in the back with a Turkish bullet. The Turks have lost very heavily, and the day that I got hit there were dead Turks lying all over the place. I am glad to say that the Ashton lads have shown their worth. They have done their work as well as any regular soldier. We are well looked after in the hospital, and several English ladies come visiting us, and they bring us cigarettes, chocolate, etc, so we don't want to leave in a hurry".

Published in the Reporter 3rd July 1915.


Wounded in the Fighting in Dardanelles.


Second-Lieutenant J.M.WADE, son of Lieutenant-Colonel D.H.WADE, the commanding officer of the Ashton Territorials now at the Dardanelles, is officially reported to have been wounded in action. Lieutenant WADE displayed great courage in the bayonet charge on the Turkish trenches, which cost Captain HAMER and Lieutenant STRINGER their lives. His wound is not serious. It consists of a bayonet wound in the wrist. The information is conveyed in a cablegram which Mr. John Neal received from Col D.H.WADE on Saturday morning, from Alexandria. Lieut. WADE, who has taken his B.Sc, with honours, was studying for his M.Sc, when the war broke out. He was gazetted to the Ashton Territorials on September 2nd, 1914. He speedily became popular with the men, and his courage on the night of June 7th has earned for him the wholesale respect and admiration of the men. It is a curious trick of fate that both father and son should be put out of action at the same time.

Published in the Reporter 3rd July 1915.


Ashton Piecer Who Had Just Reached His 17th Birthday.

News has been received from the Territorial Records Office, Preston, by Mrs Coffey, of York Street, Charlestown, Ashton, that her son, Private 1786 JOHN COFFEY, of the Ashton Territorials had died of wounds on June 21st. 

Private COFFEY who only passed his 17th birthday whilst on the voyage out to Egypt, was formerly a piecer at the Rock Mill, Waterloo. (Pte. Coffey was buried at sea. He is recorded on the Helles Memorial to the missing).

 Published in the Reporter 3rd July 1915.


Brother Also Killed and Wife's Brother Missing.

An official intimation has been received by Mrs. Martin, of 52, North Street, Ashton, who is a cleaner at the new Picture Pavillion, Old Street, that her husband, Private 2126 JAMES MARTIN has been killed in action on June 7th. Private JAMES MARTIN was with the Ashton Territorials. He worked as a fitter at Messrs. Garner's Foundry, Openshaw. He formerly belonged to the Manchester Artillery Volunteers.

His brother, Corporal 8890 ANDREW MARTIN, of the 2nd Manchester Regiment, who lived in Cotton Street, Ashton, has also been killed in the war, whilst Mrs. Martin's brother, DAVID CASSIDY is reported missing. (JAMES MARTIN is buried in the Redoubt Cemetery Helles, his brother, ANDREW MARTIN was killed in action on the 30.5.1915 aged 32, he is buried in the Chester Farm Cemetery, Belgium).

Published in the Reporter 3rd July 1915.


"Promised to Stick Together".

Three companions, Privates, LAWRENCE FINNERAN, JAMES DUNDAVAN, and WILLIAM GASKELL, who left Ashton with the Territorials in August last, and promised to "stick together", have all been wounded in the operations at the Dardanelles. A letter, dated June 20th written by Private FINNERAN to his parents, who reside on Brook Street, Ashton, states - 

" I am sorry to tell you that I have been wounded. The wound is not such a bad one. I am also sorry to tell you that JIM DUNDAVAN has been wounded. I was wounded on June 7th. We were admitted to the hospital at Alexandria on June 19th. Don't upset yourselves about me, as I am all right, and doing as well as can be expected". (Pictured in the article - Lawrence Finneran and William Gaskell).

Published in the Reporter 3rd July 1915.


"Fiercer Fighting in the Dardanelles Than in France"

Mrs. Priestnall, of 77, Manchester Road, Droylsden, has received word from her son, Private WILLIAM PRIESTNALL, of "E" Company, Ashton Territorials, that he has been wounded, but that his injuries are not very serious. He expects to be all right again before long. "Don't upset yourself, for I am lucky" he wrote. 

In a letter received Wednesday, Private PRIESTNALL wrote - "I am doing as well as can be expected, and hope to be doing my little bit again before long. It is very fierce fighting here, far worse than it is in France. I hope I have the luck to pull through". Private PRIESTNALL, who is 19 years of age, was a piecer at Messrs. Byrom's Victoria Mills, Droylsden. He was a member of the Droylsden Swifts A.F.C. His brother, THOMAS PRIESTNALL, is now at Aldershot with the 13th Battalion Manchester Regt., and expects to go to France today (Saturday).  

Published in the Reporter 3rd July 1915.


Big Turkish Shell Falls Six Yards Behind Him.


Some narrow escapes on the battlefield are chronicled by Private J.W. ROBERTS, of the 9th Battalion Manchester Regiment, Territorials, serving at the Dardanelles, in a letter written to his wife, who resides at 119, Church Street, Ashton. He states: - " I have had several narrow escapes. On the way down to the base a big Turkish shell fell about six yards behind me. Fortunately it failed to explode. Had it done so it would have blown me to the wind. Those who saw the occurrence described it as a miracle that I escaped being struck by the shell. On another occasion when I got up from my dug-out I found a rifle bullet embedded in the soil about four inches from where my head had been resting. I think it had been fired by a German sniper. Four of our horses have been shot. Two horses, one of which belonged to the General, were tied to a tree about 10 yards away from my dug-out. A shell came and blew the General's horse to pieces. Another shell came and blew the other horses eye out. Shells are whistling over our heads all day long. They make a terrible noise, but we have got used to them now. A few of our boys have been killed, but I am all right." Private ROBERTS has served for 13 years in the Ashton Territorials and the old Volunteers. He was one of those who volunteered for active service during the South African War. He acted as groom for Major HICKEY whilst the battalion was training in Egypt. 

bottom of page