top of page

1916 PAGE 5


1916 - EGYPT.

Published in the Reporter 24th June 1916.


Several letters have been received this week from Ashton Territorials, who are still in Egypt in the neighbourhood of the Suez. On the anniversary of the grand attack in which they took part in the Gallipoli Peninsula last year the Ashton men were given a free day, which they very much enjoyed. The weather in Egypt is at the present time almost tropical in character, and owing to the heat the men perform their duties in the early morning, and rest at midday when the heat is almost unbearable. Private PERCY BORWICK, an Ashton Territorial, writing to his uncle, Mr. Tom Rose, 43, Queen Street, Ashton, says - "It is twelve months since we went up in the trenches for an advance, when our division made an attack on the Peninsula, and made a name for itself. I see by the Reporter that one of the old lads has asked them to let us know what the people of Ashton are doing to get us a bit of a furlough. I am of the same opinion as this lad, that the people should do a bit in trying to get us home to see those we love. There are only about 150 of the old lads that have not been home, and I think if it was put forward that it would be sent to the proper people and we should get leave. There are only a few of the old lads who are out here at present, and it is a bit trying to us, with not even having a rest, after what we have gone through. We are having a free day today, on account of the attack on Cape Helles, and it is the King's birthday."

Published in the Reporter 22nd July 1916.



The Territorial Forces Records Office at Preston have reported to Mrs. Ryding, of 19, Turner Lane, Ashton, that her son, Private 2061 HUGH D. RYDING, of the 1/9th Battalion, C Company, Manchester Regiment, who was reported missing about a year ago at the Dardanelles, was killed in action on June 7th. 1915. Private RYDING was a well known Ashton young man, and was 21 years of age. As a boy he attended the Christ Church Day School, but on his parents removing to Hurst he then attended St. John's Day School. Before joining the Territorials he was an insurance agent. He was a member and a regular attender at the P.S.A. Brotherhood in Albion Street. (Hugh D Ryding is recorded on the Helles Memorial to the missing).

Published in the Reporter 2nd September 1916.


Mrs. S.H. McGann, of 42, Cotton Street, Ashton, has received news from the Recording officer at Preston that her brother, Private 1688 JAS. WILSHAW, of B Company, 1/9th Battalion Manchester Regiment, formerly reported as missing, July 15th. 1915, has now been officially recorded as killed in action at the Dardanelles about that time. He was 20 years of age, and was in the Ashton Territorial Force about 12 months before war was declared. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. George Wilshaw. Previous to enlisting he followed the occupation of a twiner and piecer at the Oldham Mill. (Jas. Wilshaw is buried in Skew Bridge Cemetery).

Published in the Reporter 2nd September 1916.


Mrs. Sarah F.E. Gibson, of 23, Edward Street, Cockbrook, Ashton, has received official information from the War Office of the death of her husband, Corporal 508 HARRY GIBSON, of the 1/9th Battalion Manchester Regiment (Ashton Territorials). Corporal GIBSON was reported missing on June 19th 1915. He had served nine years with the Territorials. He was 25 years of age, and was employed at Summers Globe Ironworks, Stalybridge. A funeral service was held at St. Gabriel's Church, Cockbrook. He was a member of the choir and the Young Men's Class, and was secretary of the football club. He leaves a widow and one child. Two brothers and a brother-in-law of Corporal GIBSON are now serving with the colours. Private R. GIBSON, who is with the 1/9th Manchester Regiment in Egypt, has been wounded in the leg and shoulder. Private A. GIBSON is serving with the King's Royal Rifles, and his brother-in-law, Rifleman JAMES STEPHENS, is in the King's Royal Rifles in France. (Harry Gibson is recorded on the Helles Memorial to the missing).

Published in the Reporter 2nd September 1916.


Missing Dukinfield Man Now Reported Killed.

Mr. and Mrs. C. BROUGH, of Foundry Street, Dukinfield, have received official notification from the War Office of the death of their son, Private 1698 JAMES BROUGH. He was one of the 1/9th Manchesters (Ashton Territorials), and went out with the battalion to Egypt and the Gallipoli Peninsula. He had been reported as missing since June 19th, 1915, and numerous inquiries had been made regarding him. However, his parents hopes for his safety are now gone since this official message has come to them. Private JAMES BROUGH was an amiable young fellow, and liked by companions and all he came in contact with. Previous to enlisting, he had been a member of the Ashton Borough Band. He was formerly employed as a painter by the Great Central Railway Company. He was 22 years of age. He has another brother, Sergeant R. BROUGH, serving somewhere in France; also a brother-in-law. A memorial service will be held in the Wesleyan Chapel, Foundry Street, Dukinfield, on Sunday. (James Brough is recorded on the Helles Memorial to the missing).  

October 4th 1916.


Pte. WILLIAM MIDDLETON, a former member of the 9th Battalion, Ashton Territorials, and the son of Mr James Victor and Sarah Annie Middleton, of 1. Moorfield St, Hollingworth, has died from illness contracted whilst serving with the 9th Battalion. He was 19 years of age, and a former member of the Hollingworth Brass Band. WILLIAM MIDDLETON was educated at the Hollingworth National School. He enlisted in the Ashton Territorials in 1915 but as recently as six weeks ago had been discharged due to illness. He had been admitted to military hospitals on several occasions suffering from a serious illness, which he sadly circumed to on the 1st October. The Hollingworth Brass Band played at his funeral and at the internment which took place on the 4th October at Tintwistle Churchyard. (WILLIAM MIDDLETON lies in an unmarked grave. He is not listed in the CWGC records, nor in the SDGW. He has no medal card, and his service record did not survive WWII. However, he is commemorated on the Hollingworth War Memorial). 

The Headlines Published in the Reporter 28th October 1916.



Lance Corporal 2148 STANLEY PEARSON, who was made a presentation at the Ashton Town Hall on Thursday, in recognition of having been awarded the D.C.M., is the only son of the late Colonel GEORGE PEARSON, who was connected with the public life of Ashton for many years, and who did so much for the Volunteer movement in Stalybridge. Lance Corporal PEARSON was mentioned in Sir Ian Hamilton's last despatch, and following the publication of the despatch came the announcement in the London Gazette that Lance Corporal PEARSON, of the 1/9th Battalion, Manchester Regiment, had been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for a conspicuous act of bravery at Gallipoli. Lance Corporal PEARSON, who had been living at Newton Heath, joined the Ashton Territorials at Bury prior to their departure for Egypt. He had previous experience, for he served 12 years in the Stalybridge Volunteers. (Stanley Pearson's D.C.M. was Gazetted on the 11th March 1916).

Published in the Reporter 4th November 1916.


Mrs. Hanson, of 5, Market Avenue, Dukinfield, has been officially notified that her son, Private 1466 FRED HANSON, of the 1/9th Manchester Regiment, who was reported missing after an engagement at Gallipoli, on June 19th 1915, is now presumed to be dead. He was 23 years of age. He had three brothers serving in the army. One of them, Private DAVID HANSON, of the 3/9th Manchesters, is at present in hospital at Cairo. Another brother, Private. 15518 HARRY HANSON, of the 8th South Lancashires, was reported killed in action on July 9th 1916, (aged 25 years, husband of Maud Hanson, 223, Moss St. Ashton) and Private TOM HANSON, of the 2/9th Manchester Regiment, is at present in training at Southport. (Fred Hanson is recorded on the Helles Memorial to the missing. His brother Harry Hanson is recorded on the Thiepval Memorial to the missing). 

Published in the Reporter 11th November 1916.




The death has occurred from illness in a hospital in Egypt of Private 3987 HARRY HEATON KERRICK, a well known local football referee, whose home was at 232, Katherine Street, Ashton. He sailed for Egypt on June 5th, being attached to the 3/9th Ashton Territorials, but became affected by the intense heat. Mrs. Kerrick received a cablegram that he was in hospital, and later that he had died. Private KERRICK, who was 39 years of age, formerly worked at Messrs. Shaw's brush works at Ashton. He was connected with the Ashton P.S.A., and a regular attender at the services. His great aim was to provide healthy recreation for the young men of the district. Several years ago he was secretary of the old Ashton Football Federation, and later a member of the Ashton League Executive. He was a referee on the Manchester list, and on the Hooley Hill Sunday School Football League, and the Ashton League lists. He joined the Territorials last year, and was put on duties that brought him in direct touch with many young men of the district, and he secured many recruits. Much sympathy has been extended to Mrs. Sarah Kerrick in her sad loss. She has two children. (Harry Kerrick died on the 28th October 1916 He is buried in the Cairo War Memorial Cemetery). 

Published in the Reporter 18th November 1916.


Mrs. Lester, of 48, North Street, Ashton-Under-Lyne, has received an official intimation that her adopted son, Private 7019 HAROLD BRAITHWAITE, of the King's Liverpool Regiment, and formerly Private 4661 of the 3/9th Manchester Regiment, died of wounds received in action on September 25th 1916. He was 30 years of age, and joined the 3/9th Manchesters in March last, but was afterwards transferred to the King's Liverpool Regiment. He had been in France about two months. Before joining the Army he was employed as a minder at Messrs. Reyners Ltd. He attended the Primitive Methodist Church and Sunday School in Katherine Street, Ashton. His brother, Private WILLIAM BRAITHWAITE, is also serving with the Bedford Regiment. Being an experienced soldier he was early drafted out to France, and took part in the early battles. He was afterwards transferred to the Buffs, and is now in Mesopotamia. Private HARRY LESTER, of the King's Own Scottish Borderers, was killed in action on July 20th, 1916. He joined the forces in January, 1915, and had been out in France about 15 months. Formerly he worked at Gorton Tank Works, and resided in Dukinfield. He left a wife and three children. (Harold Braithwaite is buried in Dartmoor Cemetery, Belcordel-Becourt).

Published in the Reporter 9th December 1916.


Private 6986 JAMES MELLOR of the 1/7th King's Liverpool Regiment, and formerly Pte. 4535 in the Ashton Territorials, is officially reported missing, but information has been received by his mother, Mrs. Mellor, of 6, Beaconsfield Street, Ryecroft, Ashton, that he has been killed. One chum says he saw Private MELLOR killed by a shell which killed eight men in all. If any soldier can give Mrs. Mellor any further details they will be gratefully welcome. Private MELLOR was 30 years of age. Before he joined the Ashton Territorials he worked at Messrs. Howe's Ltd, waste cleaners. He was transferred to the King's Liverpool Regiment some time ago. (James Mellor is recorded as having been killed in action on 25.9.16. He is recorded on the Thiepval Memorial to the missing).

Published in the Reporter 9th December 1916.


In football circles the news of the death of Sergeant 41425 CORNELIUS FINCH, secretary to the Dukinfield Football Club, will be received with sincere regret. He was in the Ashton Territorials when war was declared, and went out to Egypt with the battalion. In August last he was invalided to Malta, and on his becoming convalescent, he was granted leave of absence and came to England. He was in one of the Manchester hospitals for a few weeks, and he came home to Dukinfield for a short time. Seven weeks ago he went out to France, and he was killed in action a few weeks ago. Writing to Mr. and Mrs. Wagstaff, of the Nag's Head, Astley Street, the headquarters of the football club on October 10th, from France, he said: - "This is life, without a doubt. It is glorious to see how our lads take all hardships just like they take beer. Here we are all wet through to the skin, without the chance of a change, but never mind, better days will come again. We mean to try and add to the honour of the good old 9th". Prior to August 1914, Sergeant FINCH was a minder at Whittakers Mill, Hurst, and lived in Taylor Street, Dukinfield. He was the first secretary to the Dukinfield A.F.C. and was well known by all connected with local football. (Cornelius Finch was killed in action on 17.11.16. He is recorded on the Thiepval Memorial to the missing).

The Headlines Published in the Reporter 16th December 1916.


Published in the Reporter 16th December 1916.


Mr. and Mrs. Martin, of 13, Sutherland Street, Ashton, have been officially notified that their son, Sergeant 41493 WILLIAM HENRY MARTIN, of the 9th Battalion, Manchester Regiment, was killed in action in France on November 17th. He was 23 years of age, and went out with the 1/9th Territorials to the Dardanelles. He was afterwards transferred to the 2/9th Territorials, and has been in France for about three months. He came over on a short furlough in August last. Previous to joining the army he was employed as a joiner, and served his time to that trade with Messrs. E. Marshall and Sons Ltd, of Ashton. As a youth he attended the Albion Day School, and latterly became associated with the St. Gabriels Sunday School at Cockbrook. He was also a member of the P.S.A. Brotherhood, and a regular attender of the Sunday Morning Bible Class, the members of which had sent him a parcel of comforts a few weeks ago. His younger brother, Private 3045 FRANK REUBEN MARTIN (Pictured) is a member of the 2/9th Battalion Manchester Regiment, and is serving with them in Egypt at present. (William Henry Martin is recorded on the Thiepval Memorial to the missing. *NOTE. There are errors in this newspaper article. William Henry Martin had transferred to the 2nd Manchester Regiment).

Published in the Reporter 30th December 1916.


Any information regarding Private 41516 WILLIAM RUSHWORTH, of the 2/9th Manchester Regiment, would be gratefully received by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Rushworth, 16, King Street, Hurst, Ashton. Private RUSHWORTH was officially reported missing on December 20th. The last letter received from him was dated November 10th. Private RUSHWORTH went out to Egypt at the outbreak of war. He went through the Dardanelles campaign, was invalided home, and went out to France in September 1916. (William Rushworth was safe and well. He was officially reported as a POW).

bottom of page